Public Enemies was horrible ?

Okey so I just watched Public Enemies and in my opinion the film was visually terrible .

It looked like it was shot on T2i ,the color corraction was just ... and some of the muzzle flashes looked like a 10 year old just bought action essentials..

But everyone I talked to just loved it . Anyone watched the movie and shares my opinion ?

Yea i thought the same when watching it on DVD. It was shot on a digital camera not 35mm and i believe the main problem wasnt that but it was that it was shot with a fast shutter resulting in very little motion blur while sticking to the normal frame rate and this bugged the hell outa me :director:

Calm down, It came out before the digital to film transference had been perfected. Although visual quality may have been lacking, Some of the shots were really good. So much so I even recreate them in my projects. Will not even get into how well a lot of the actors portrayed their characters.

Weird, I just recently watched this movie and I thought the cinematography/look was astounding. To each their own I suppose...

The lack of motion blur is a bit of a problem. I don't think it looks bad but it does have a certain video feel to it.

And it's a bit boring, but that's another discussion...

Actually I read that it was shot at 1/30 shutter speed which is more motion blur than what we are use to. But I think it was also shot at 30fps as well, which is why it is also less. So 30 fps at 1/30. I didn't mind it though and felt it gave the movie a unique look, but that's just me. My problem was I felt the story was a bit lacking but it does have it's moments for sure. I think I give it 7/10.

When I saw Public Enemies, I thought that with all the money spend, they could easily shot it in 35 mm film.

I did not like the style of the film at all.

When I saw Public Enemies, I thought that with all the money spend, they could easily shot it in 35 mm film.

I did not like the style of the film at all.

You dinosaurs better get use to the digital age, Its cheaper and faster to produce. Its not going away and may very well be the standard.

Yep eventually film will be replaced by digital, but hopefully not anytime soon. But I think there is something else in Public Enemies that just digital. I did like Collateral and that was digital as well.

I coulda swore I'd heard that only bits of it were shot with video, like when the feds or whoever they were catch up with them at the cabin etc.

Technical Specs.

Can't say I loved the video, but I don't recall the film looking bad. The choice of video was a dramatic choice --trying to impart a sense of immediacy, like this is happening right now. Like I said, can't say I liked the video look, but I also can't say that it didn't impart that sense of immediacy, either.

For a colorful side note, PE was partly shot in Wisconsin, and I can remember a local who had been an extra or something noting on the local news that Mann did a lot of yelling and dropping the F-bomb on set, heheh. Not how I'd want to run a set, I think, but there ya go.

Edit: I had to rewatch the film because of this thread. Yeah, I dislike the videoyness of it. I originally saw it at the theater. Maybe the big screen was more flattering to it. But watching it on the small screen at home, I didn't care for the look.

Last edited:
Back