Producer/Autuer/Company Founder/Production Assistant

I have a question AND a comment about my experience as a producer/autuer/production assistant...

Now, I always am eager to meet new people and artists in the bisinesss...indie or other...I get quite a few emails of actors sending me headshots, writers sending me synopsis', etc.

This flatters the hell out of me and really makes me feel good about what I'm doing, and I'm definitely not complaining at all...I need talented people to work with...BUT more importantly I need people to work FOR!

Everyone offers me help that I can't afford because of my lack of time and money (I'm a college student still looking for my big break...or just a break), but I almost NEVER get offered a job to work for someone else (for money, that is)...why?

...I figure it would be because my films aren't high quality (I really don't think they are) or my lack of experience, but then why do all these writers, directors, and actors want to work with me?

My company and my films only make enough money to support itself (i.e. pay for webspace, equipment, etc...and that doesn't include the camera or computer)...what I need is a real job that pays...I have certain PA jobs I can do for free...and i do enjoy those...I'm just getting nervous wondering if I'll ever be able to live soley off of my filmmaking...that's really my dream...

P.S. I may sound like a little bitch on this forum, but I just like to complain and vent here because everyone usually has similar experiences and interesting things to add. Sorry if it's annoying...I should start writing songs again, hehe. Aaaaanyway...Your thoughts?

Looking at your web site I’d say the reason is you give the impression that LOGAN L Productions is a successful, full service production house.

It looks like you are an active, working production company. That tends to attract employees rather than employers. People looking to “break in” tend to look at messageboards and scour the net for small production companies - employers tend to contact people they already know and trust.

And if your films aren’t of the highest quality, the few people using the web to find their next producer may simply pass yours by is search of another producer/autuer.

Looking for work is much more aggressive. People looking for a producer or director or composer rarely hit the net hoping to find that kind of talent. It’s great to have one - but if you are really looking for work you need to be the one submitting your resume. Not hoping someone will find your site and offer you a gig.

I’m a myopic west coaster. What’s the film making scene like near Norman, OK? On the professional level. Is there enough work in the area so can actually live that dream of making a living off you filmmaking?

Norman and OKC aren't the best places to get work on a professional level, although there are a decent amount of good indie filmmakers here (Cinema Eye is based in OKC).

...but my permanent address (or my parents' address) is in Dallas (actually, in the Dallas area), and there is a lot of activity there...there's the studios in Las Colinas, actors, festivals, producers, and a lot of television shows are shot there...nothing compared to LA, but there are plenty of showbiz jobs had in Dallas...

...I guess my complaint has no real validity, because you're right that I should be the one being agressive. What I meant by "employer" is that I want to make commercials, music videos, or whatever...I think indie musicians and business men may search the internet...maybe not...I'm currently working on a presentation to become partners with an internet television network as well as a demo beer commercial that I may give to the beer company for free if they like it...so I'm trying to be aggressive on that end...I'm just not sure what level of aggressiveness is appropriate...Is it good to make presentations and commercials without being asked to? ...I don't know. I guess I'll find out.

Back