Premiere Pro vs Final Cut Pro

Which one is the best and most used in the industry ? I like Adobe products because there's much more detail and creative options. I've never used Final Cut Pro. I've used iMovie before and I personally don't like it. Seems like it's much more for people who want to make simple home movies and vacation slideshows.

This is an incredibly subjective question to ask "What is the best?"

What is the best car? What is the best flavor ice cream? What is the best team?

All you can hope to get are people's subjective opinions that might not be right for you.

Avid is the most widely used

I think that's just a rumor ;)

There aren't a lot of numbers about NLEs.
On this page http://video.stackexchange.com/ques...big-three-video-editing-nle-software-packages you'll find 2 polls with 2 different outcomes, but with one thing in common: Avid scores low numbers :lol:

But, is it really important in the end?
Depending on where you want to work you can make certain choices, but in the end they are all tools doing more or less the same thing. So the most important thing is: what works best for you?

Avid is the most widely used

I think that's just a rumor ;)

There aren't a lot of numbers about NLEs.
On this page http://video.stackexchange.com/ques...big-three-video-editing-nle-software-packages you'll find 2 polls with 2 different outcomes, but with one thing in common: Avid scores low numbers :lol:

A rumor supported by the reality that almost no major studio films have been cut with anything else with the rare exception of GONE GIRL since FINAL CUT X knocked out Apple's software from the race.

I edit in Adobe Premiere Pro, and I have cut features in Avid and Final Cut Pro.

It's the artist not the brush that counts.

Yes I agree. Though I question what my question is, what's the software that's most recommended or what's mostly used in the major studios ? But if it varies, then point made that it's just a tool that does the same thing and it depends on the individual.

A rumor supported by the reality that almost no major studio films have been cut with anything else with the rare exception of GONE GIRL since FINAL CUT X knocked out Apple's software from the race.

I edit in Adobe Premiere Pro, and I have cut features in Avid and Final Cut Pro.

It's the artist not the brush that counts.

It's certainly the artist.

The question in 2015 could be: are the major studios the majority of NLE users ;)
Enough statistics blabla :P

Unless you know who is responding to those polls, the results are meaningless. If most of the respondents are serious amateurs, semi-pros or those working in very low budget sectors of the industry then you'll find few who use Avid simply due to the fact that it's far more expensive. If the respondents are commercial post houses, major prodcos or studios then Avid will be at or very near the top.

... what's mostly used in the major studios ?

Sonnyboo has already answered this question, Avid is by far the most widely used in the major studios, pretty much to the total exclusion of any of the other NLEs.

But if it varies, then point made that it's just a tool that does the same thing and it depends on the individual.

It does vary (although not at the major studio level as mentioned) but the fact that it does vary does not make the point that all NLEs are the same. In fact, it's evidence of the exact opposite! All the main NLEs do have the same basic editing functionality. However, how easy/quick it is to employ that functionality varies from one to another and functionality beyond the basics also varies. Avid for example has a lot of network features not present in other NLEs. For example, Media Composer can be "locked" to ProTools (the software which dominates commercial audio post). You can have a network of ProTools computers, including a "video satellite" machine (running Media Composer) all locked together and controlled from one "master" ProTools rig. The advantage is that the video does not need to be rendered and imported into ProTools and, if connected to a wider network with other Media Composer stations, updates to the Video Satellite station can be near instantaneous, say in the case of offline media becoming available or media being updated. An extremely common occurrence as the VFX/CGI departments are usually working at the same time as the Audio Post departments. This can be a massive and invaluable time (and logistics) saver and is just one of the network features of Media Composer. Other network features are more aimed at the big Post Houses which may have as many as 100 or more editing "seats", although it depends on the type of work being done at these post houses as to how useful that functionality is. At the amateur and no/nano budget level, pretty much none of this particular area of functionality is of any use/consequence so then it becomes more a question of which functionality you do need, which NLE are you most comfortable with (makes that functionality easiest/quickest to apply) and commonly the relative cost. Premiere for example makes it extremely easy (relative to other NLEs) to transfer materials between certain other commonly used filmmaking software, After Effects for instance.

As you're already familiar with and like Adobe products, Premiere would seem like the obvious choice for you. If your goal is to become a professional pic/video editor then you would probably best be served by having a very good working knowledge of both Avid and Premiere and a working knowledge of FCPX certainly wouldn't hurt your job prospects either!

G

I prefer Premiere Pro since that's what I learnt on and have been using it since CS4. The integration with other Adobe CS/CC apps is amazing and useful! Loved FCP7 and I don't mind FCPX but its not my drug of choice.

No problem. Ever since about 3-4 years ago, Final Cut Pro (6-7) were taking away the professional marketshare for film and television from Avid. Since their release of Final Cut Pro X, that has halted almost entirely.

I don't know of a single major motion picture or TV series edited in Final Cut Pro X.

Ahem... http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/25/final-cut-pro-x-focus-movie/

There are a load of professionals using FCP X. I use it because it is costs less over a 4 year period than its competition and it does exactly what I need. I like to buy something and get years of use out of it because I'm tight like that.

When it first came out, it was terrible but now it does the job. I think the product is tainted by the initial few years when it was complete garbage. Now, it does the job just fine.

I haven't read this whole thread, but for what it's worth I used to be a die hard FCP 7 user, but when FCP X came along I was just never able to get used to it, so I switched to Adobe Premiere Pro and have never looked back. Fewer bugs, very similar features from what I was used to but with a better design.

I have a friend who edits a couple of TV shows on the CW network and he says Avid is the pro standard, but on an indie level you're never going to need conform to a standard. Whatever works for you is the best tool to use.

Last edited:
Congrats! You found a single major feature cut on Final Cut Pro X.

And one which looks suspiciously far more like product placement/advertising than a choice based on the actual merits of the software!

... but on an indie level you're never going to need conform to a standard. Whatever works for you is the best tool to use.

That depends on how you define "indie". If by "indie" you mean DIY, no budget, hobbyist filmmaking destined for say Youtube, then I'm sure you're right. But, the term "indie" can cover more serious, collaborative filmmaking, from mid to high tier film festivals, most/all of the commercial distribution channels and all the way up to multi-million dollar productions. In any of these uses of the term "indie", then I don't agree. Not only are there standards to which one must conform but "whatever works for you" may not be the best tool for the job. The best tool for the job is the one which works best for everyone in the collaborative environment. This is where Avid starts becoming the most attractive option (best tool for the job) and incidentally where FCPX starts becoming one of the worst.

G

Back