Premiere Pro CC 2014 performance issues

Hi all,
not a lot of activity in this area. So hers something..

My newish PC
intel core i7 cpu 3.47 GHZ (12 HT cores)
24 GB ram
Windows 7 64 bit.

Has started feeling rather sluggish at time on Premiere pro operations with footage from my hacked GH2.

My project is stored on raid 0 drive (2 2tb sata drives)

My os runs on a single 2 tb sata drive

Im thinking of setting up dual boot with an additional SSD HD for booting to video workstation mode, leaving the current boot disk in place for other compute activities.

Thoughts?

You missed your video card details.

Assuming you don't have a really crappy video card, it may be your settings. There's really no reason this (beast of a) machine shouldn't handle simple edits with any footage (including r3d). If it's a rather complex edit, you need to find out there your bottle neck is and whether the machine is using all the resources appropriately (you may have the hardware renderer turned off).

It is also possible that you're some effects that slows everything down, like Neat Video's denoise effect. That can bring some systems to a crawl without a complex timeline.

In the mean time, try reducing the sampling resolution until you find a setting where you can use the machine at an acceptable level.

Also try creating DNxHD proxies for a test to see if that solves your issue (I suspect it will).

One more thing, when editing with PP CC 2014 for a long period of time, I've found you need to reboot infrequently. I suspect there may be a memory leak (but it could have been coming from another program) in which an update will be needed from Adobe.

Edit: An SSD is unlikely to help your issue.

I need a good test scenario. A known piece of footage, with a known set of operations to produce a baseline before I begin any kinda of tweaking. I hate non data driven configuration changes.

Just look at the resources being used first. Use that piece where you're lagging and look at your resource monitor (plus video card monitor) to see if there is anything standing out as your obvious issue.

What I'd expect you'd find is PP isn't offloading to the video card and is overloading your CPU. If this is happening, usually a misbehaving app or a simple configuration fix.

Im thinking of setting up dual boot with an additional SSD HD for booting to video workstation mode, leaving the current boot disk in place for other compute activities.

Sorry for kinda off topic... but what is video workstation mode? I've never heard of booting into such a thing....

(except with dedicated Avid machines)

its just a concept I was making up..

In an idea world I would have a system DEDICATED to video editing. No video games, no office apps, not programming tools just video tools. This would give me the best possible performance and assure my system is stable. However, I live in the real world, and I cant let an awesome compute resource like that, which ROCKS many video games by the way, sit unused while I use some other lower power system to do all the OTHER things that I do with computers.

Setting up a dual boot system, booth booting from their own dedicated HD, would allow me to boot up the computer into "general use" computer mode like it is now, and "video workstation" mode where I have only Creative Suite and "necessary" programs installed.

Back