• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Premiere CS6 for FCP7 Users...

Okay.. so I am reading that more and more people are making the switch from FCP7 to Premiere CS6.. So i started checking it out today and I noticed that as an editor you got to change your workflow.. Now I only used Premiere for couple hours and please correct me if I am wrong..

I was able to use the FCP7 keyboard shortcuts and I was on a roll.. awesome!! this will be easy transition.. NOT..

1. Lets say you got 10 video files. if you throw all 10 of them on a timeline you cant simply choose in and out point from the timeline and copy what you like and throw it in the of the timeline.. You got to open the clip in the preview window and mark your in and out points there and then drag it to the timeline...

2.. for some reason my footage skips in CS6.. I have apple pro res format video that import and I ask the program to match the settings.. the clip is previewed in yellow and it skips.. when I render it its much better.

3. when I import XML file from FCP i get to see my edit but its all one file.. I dont see the actual cut..

well what type of tips do you Premiere users have? How many have you made the switch form FCP7 to Premiere?

1) you skipped a word I guess: 'in the of the'
- different program = different interface = different workflow
- you can still drop 10 files on the timeline ;)

2) check your settings for your videocard. And check the supported ones.

3) never done this, but I guess you put the edit in a sequence? Or did you open the xml as a sequence?
This subtle difference mattered years ago with te pre-xml-edit-files.

XML's don't work as well as the standard EDL's. If you export an EDL from Final Cut Pro, and open that in CS4-CS6, then it will show all the basic cuts, just not color correction and other effects outside of dissolves.

awesome. thanks. i will check out the EDL..
thanks.. its bummer that u cant get an selection from the timeline, but instead you got to go to the viewer.. i got a 2hr movie that i need to select parts form and its so much easier doing it from the timeline.. (still using FCP7)

anyhow..

Back