poster for shorts?

have you done a poster for your short film?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We did for NOBLE, mostly because it was our biggest project yet at the time and printing an 11x17 poster was only $1.30 at the print shop haha. Made fun decorations at the cast and crew viewing.

I do a digital version for most because it helps garner interest on forums and what not, where a bare link and a lot of text as a description is kinda bland. That, and internet is the #1 place people will most likely see a short, so if you want it in front of more eyes it helps.

Every single one of them. Have them done by a professional graphic designer (who cuts me a great deal). Then I have a limited run, usually 10 to 15, of full sheets printed by the graphics department at my work (who does them at "cost" of about $15 each).

I do them for kicks, and for every script, whether I shot something or not.
ie, I was about to shoot a short film (in the end it never got made) so I designed a "talent pack" for my intended actors. In it: A copy of the script, a couple of story board frames, and a pseudo-poster (it had naomi watts on the cover, so...).

Here's the poster.

quYbd.jpg

I don't like the font, nor the blur on it.

The original pic.

We make them for shorts. Digital and print copies both. Very useful for when you have a screening, plastering on the ol' social networks, a must for press kits, and used on the website (last use of poster on website for us: silenceofthebelle.com). I even used one poster during the promo video for another project (realityondemandseries.com).

Also look into developing a good logo and branding for your short. As with the movie poster, we try to work with our dedicated graphic designer to make a logo for each project that work well across all mediums and when animated.

I attended the festival down in Huntington Beach where CrackerFunk's Anti-hero film played and every film - short, feature or doc - had a poster and postcards on the tables out in the lobby area. There's no such thing as too much marketing. If you can grab people's attention at a glance why not?

Back