Post your rigs!

Hello!
I for one don't have a pc, sounds strange I know, so I can't start off with mine but I'm building one soon, so I'll post here what I plan to get.
- IPS panel monitor
- multi core (6-8) processor, preferably Intel if fits my budget
- aftermarket cooler
- 8x2 gigs of RAM
- a decent gfx card for games and apps
- and a wacom tablet for art work.
Tell us about your PC that you use for work guys?

Instaed of telling, I'll show you.

I edited I, Creator 2 - Goddess of the Hunt with this.

10455222_696278023775701_7316896074712082815_n.jpg

I added these this week, after doing Spring Cleaning. These speakers come from the desktop Windows 98/95 computer I threw out last year to make room for my new Windows 8 Desktop editing rig shown below.

10464340_696843007052536_9060097716401484669_n.jpg

10382742_696843807052456_5732939313396667848_n.jpg

10527701_696281147108722_6250140453472993960_n.jpg

Both my custom desktop and Sony laptop can accommodate secondary monitors, which I hope to add when funding permits. I have a growing variety of editing, DVD and Blu-ray authoring, special effects, and preproduction software on both from a variety of vendors. This way, I have the best software for any type of job.

I am disappointed that my desktop cannot accommodate Avid Media Composer. I was hoping to get the whole Avid suite.

Better luck, hopefully, in the future with a future desktop.

Last edited:
I'm in a transitionary period.. kind of in limbo while I wait for my house to sell... so I can't really show good photos, since nothing is where it should be. But, here's the specs:

i7 4770k (overclocked to 4.2GHz)
250GB Samsung EVO (system drive)
4x 2TB Western Digital Red HDDs in RAID0 configuration
32GB RAM (Crucial DDR3 1600MHz)
Diamond Radeon R9 270x (GUI card)
EVGA GTX760 FTW (CUDA processing for DaVinci Resolve, etc)
Blackmagic Intensity Pro (Video I/O)

all tucked neatly within the Thermaltake MS-I Commander (snow edition) case, and powered by a 750w corsair power supply.

Running as a hackintosh, with OSX 10.9.4 presently.

Nixeus NX-VUE27D (27" 2560x1400 IPS display)
LG W2240 (22" 1920x1080 secondary display)
Tangent Wave color grading panel
Sony PVM-14L5 14" Studio reference monitor

I also plan on buying the Behringer xTouch Universal at some point after it comes out later this year... as well as figuring something out for decent audio monitoring.

As for camera rig, that's a bit more involved, and is still being built up.. but it centers around the BlackMagic 4k production camera, with a set of rails, follow focus, matte box, etc.

This was a big upgrade year for me. ;)

Last edited:
My rig is set up a bit more for music production, but here goes -

- A Dell desktop running Windows 7 with 16G of RAM, an i7 3.4 ghz processor, and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti. It's plenty strong enough for any film editing, music editing, or game I've thrown at it thus far.

I have it hooked up to 2 HD displays, a 23'' and a 17 off to the side. The dual display is incredibly useful while editing film, in particular, doing things like syncing audio w/ video, where viewing both at the same time is very helpful.

I then have it hooked up to a big audio interface, mixer, studio monitors, etc - music creation stuff. Even a bunch of analog equipment wired up into the digital stuff. I've found that studio monitors are also incredibly useful in film editing as well.

However... My rig will be a laptop once I head off to school. It's actually a powerhouse, though, and it runs all the stuff my desktop runs at fairly equal speeds and quality. It's an HP Envy 17, with the big 17'' screen (I knew I'd need it for film editing!) a 2G dedicated Nvidia card, i7 processor, etc. Great machine!

I also keep an HP Chromebook around for a couple reasons. Beyond light internet browsing and note taking, I've found it's a nice little PC to use on shoots, and to write scripts/notes anywhere, anytime. Plus, I always test all of my content on it, both music and film. I think it's important for things to look/sound equally good on high end equipment as consumer grade stuff, so the Chromebook generally gives me a nice gauge on that. On my last album, I ran into issues because my studio monitors amplified the content a bit too much, so most devices it was too soft on them. I learned it's an increasingly common problem with home engineers and DIY musicians - But, I learned how to properly master my tracks on this new album, so again, the Chromebook was a nice little gauge to hear if it was all loud enough on that kind of device!

Last edited:
Going to be doing a bunch of post the latter half of the weekend... While this has been living in storage for a few months (waiting on the house to sell) I pulled it out... so figured I'd share a photo in it's temporary home.

Sorry there's nothing exciting going on on the screen.. waiting on footage to be delivered.

For size reference.. the monitor on the left is a 27", the CRT in the middle is a 14", and the monitor on the right is a 22" .. and the ipad running TouchOSC in the lower right is a mini. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20140712_201944.jpg
    IMG_20140712_201944.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 116
Back