Post processing hardware: Macbook Pro + fast hard disks. No?

I will do a lot of editing and FX to my documentaries, short dramas and short footage on my Macbook Pro that has good specs.

I know for sure that I need to store my media files (source files) on separate hard disks.

The question: What's the fastest external hard disk technology I can get? I heard about fiber-optic connected hard disks for source media. Can I use that withe my Macbook Pro?

Mac has a format called Thunderbolt, at least I think that's what it's called. I hope your Mac has that, I believe it's the biggest pipe at the moment. I don't think Mac is on board with USB3.

Which MacBook Pro do you have?

I have the 2010 model. Running Intel Corer i7 2.66 GHz with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. It handles 10 mins video editing well so far. I can capture my 1hr documentary in lighter format for editing but I need going online to be as fast as it can get.

brianluce,
I read about the Thunderbolt port and I don't seem to have it!

I have the 2010 model. Running Intel Corer i7 2.66 GHz with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. It handles 10 mins video editing well so far. I can capture my 1hr documentary in lighter format for editing but I need going online to be as fast as it can get.

brianluce,
I read about the Thunderbolt port and I don't seem to have it!

The fastest ports on that model are Gigabit Ethernet and Firewire 800. I believe the 17" model also had an ExpressCard slot, which you could use to add an eSATA connection, or another Ethernet or Firewire port.

Back