Post-grad film school in USA

Hi guys,

I'm currently preparing to apply to do a post-graduate film degree, probably in the USA. I thought I'd canvas opinion from IT members, especially those based in the US, about what schools to apply to. I've got a relatively impressive academic background that shouldn't, on paper, preclude me from any particular school, and I'm quite keen to go for broke with this. So what are the best schools to study at?

Additionally, most of the MFA film courses I've looked at, have been 3 years long, or at least 2. I think that 2 years is probably the maximum I would want to commit to further study – does anyone know or 1 or 2 year post-grad courses?

I'd be very grateful for any feedback. If anyone here's done a post-graduate application, I'd also love to chat about the application process and submission materials...etc.

Cheers! :)

Thanks guys. NYU, UCLA and USC are three that I'm definitely going to look at. I was also curious about Columbia, because its obviously a great university but I'm not sure how its film school rates..?

Similarly, I'm very interested in Stanford's practical documentary course, but I wonder whether it's a so-so course at a great school, or a great course at a great school...

I've never heard Stanford mentioned as a 'film school' but I'm not as in-the-know as others here, I have always thought of it as more of a law school.

I've definitely heard good things about Columbia's programs, but again, I'm not sure that they have the prime, foot in the industry door reputation that you hear about with NYU or UCLA/USC.

What are your goals? Are you trying to learn more about filmmaking or is this more of a way to make contacts and get a legit job of some kind?

In terms of networking, UCLA and USC are your best bets. There are lots of opportunities to be involved in the industry there. While I would never tell anyone they need to go to California to pursue a film career, the reality is that it provides many opportunities over other areas like Chicago or New York. Though to be honest, I question the value of an MFA. Pursuing an internship opportunity is often a fast track into the profession. Spielberg's internship led to studio opportunities and directing roles. He never completed his film school degree. The biggest advantage is that studios and schools can afford to get the newest equipment that you can learn on and you often have access to instructors who have inside industry contacts. Access to resources and networking are the key elements in the entertainment industry.

I'm not saying you shouldn't pursue a graduate degree, just that industry experience is substantially more important if you want to advance. James Cameron dropped out of college. Tarantino never went to film school but studied acting before quitting that to work at a video store. You can succeed without an MFA. Just a thought since it is a commitment of time, money, and in your case, travel and housing. I see lots of films shooting in the UK. They need grips, gaffers and actors. Lots of opportunities to network and take local classes to intern at the BBC.

As Dreadylocks said, you need to decide why you want to do this. What ever your decision, I wish you the best.

Back