• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

pop filter recommendation?

I need a pop filter for my usb mic. I don't know if it matters but its a Blue Yeti. Like the mic but am trying to filter out some unwanted 'pu' sounds.

I see there are many pop filters that range from a few bucks and up. I want one that is good!

Anyone have recommendations? What to stay away from?

I am mostly using it for vo.

Thanks.

K.

Would that equate to a 'fist'. I was told keep the mic one 'fist' down from the mouth.

...would that pop filter fit okay with the blue yeti..? Or are the all standard?

Thanks.
K

Last edited:
Alcove was referring to the angle, you do not want to speak head on into the mic. I would say 1 -2 fists ( 3-6" ) away should work. The air from your mouth going straight into the mic increase the pickup of plosives....The filter he suggested is universal.

99% of pop filters mount to the mic stand. The gooseneck allows you to move the actual pop filter around.

44760-ld-systems-ld-pop-filter-large.jpg

As far as mic positioning...

I like to "eat" the mic - get as close in as I can. (My voice sounds good when I make use of the proximity effect.) I keep the mic (TLM-103) at about a 30 degree angle and at about chin level. The pop filter is parallel with my face. It's a bit odd, but it works for me.

When working with singers I have to play around with positioning until I find a spot that sounds good and the singer is comfortable with. I tend to keep the mic position a bit high, as they don't want to stretch their neck up when singing. The more they hit plosives (Bs and Ps) and the more distance and the more of a mic angle I tend to use.

I love experienced folk who have learned to control plosives and sibilance (ssssssssss).

Back