• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

please help me by giving your thoughts on cameras

I don't have the money yet, but I'm looking to hopefully be getting close in the coming months (hopefully not too many months) and I was wondering if y'all could possibly give me a run down on the pros and con and abilities of 2/3" chip cameras I know about the panasonic varicam, the red one (and the future epic which you can upgrade to from the red one), and I know there are others, but I don't have my lil list infront of me.

here is what i'm wanting to do...i know that lighting is a big part of making your film lok great, but i'm looking at the fact that there will be times I will be needing the ability of shooting in a lowlight situation...while some small amont of liting may be possible or needed, i'd like to be able to shoot outside at night and it look like regular/natural outdoor night lighting (perferably as those the actors are lit by the moon, etc), I'll also have a few indoor night shots with low light situations

i'll also be needing some crane shots, on car mounted shots, i'll be intending on shooting widescreen at 24p with plans that it will eventually be transfered to 35mm and what that transfer to be as easy and good as possible

i know that these are highend cameras with highend prices, but I would really like your input so that I have other facts, thoughts, feelings, and info, etc...to add to what I have now.

thanks!

This is true in competitions as well. We do the 48 every year, the first year, we wrote something that our team (heavily theater geek based) thought was really brilliant with in-jokes and references. It tanked.

We did get to see who won though... The next year, we adjusted and went a bit more low-brow and got much better responses. Adjust to the audience/competition. Art for the sake of art is all well and good, but if no one watches it, it's irrelevant.

Thank you everyone for your replies...all very good info which I will not forget.

Thanks for the comment about enthusiasm Clive! I do think if a person isn't enthusiastic about what they're doing they likely shouldn't be doing it..but then I also know you shouldn't let that cause you to jump into anything blindly or you wont likely be doing it right.

I intend on making sure the script is iron clad before I do anything with it. I've been working on fine toothing it for a while now and should be finished with that soon, and I'm sure I will be starting some other threads here in the newbie section soon.

One quick question for you Clive...I know you just got back from Cannes and I was wondering if you could give me an idea of what types of movies you saw getting attention? (explain as in detail as you can on the drama side of things)

Back