• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Please Help! Editing Hardware questions: i5/Intel HD 3000 for Canon 600D 1080p

Hi guys,

There is a 10% off sale this weekend and I am considering getting myself a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e320 notepad/netbook for Uni (I got into my Film and TV degree, yay!) which would work out to be a decent price, around $400 or so.

So I'm wondering if this will be sufficient for video editing my Canon 600D 1080p footage? Mainly shot at 24fps, although I may shoot at 720p/60fps somewhere down the line. The specs are:

Intel Core i5-2450M Processor (2.50GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB)
Display type: 13.3" W HD (1366 x 768)LED
System graphics: Intel HD Graphics
Total memory: 2 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 (1 DIMM)
Hard drive: 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm

I will be buying more ram, anther 2 GB, making it 4GB, or more if necessary.

The Intel HD graphics solution is an "Integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics", here is some more information about it:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

I don't know diddley squat about editing and the hardware requirements needed, I have heard that the footage from Canon DSLRs use very resource hungry encoding.

Will this HD 3000 Graphics be enough in the above system, or am I right in assuming that for editing, the graphics takes a back seat to - in order of importance - CPU, RAM and HDD Speed?

Thanks so much!

I do not think this would be a wise choice for editing HD footage.

Integrated Graphics will eat up a large chunk of your processing power. The monitor is teeny. The harddrive is only 5400rpm. (7200 was the norm for SD, to avoid skipping. 10k rpm is common now)

Skip this, and get your requirements sorted first. :)

I do not think this would be a wise choice for editing HD footage.

Integrated Graphics will eat up a large chunk of your processing power. The monitor is teeny. The harddrive is only 5400rpm. (7200 was the norm for SD, to avoid skipping. 10k rpm is common now)

Skip this, and get your requirements sorted first. :)

Damn it! I had a gut feeling it wasn't going to work... I'm not concerned about monitor size because I can plug it into my 22inch LCD monitor, oh well. In regards to the HDD being too slow, could I not use a USB 7200rpm drive? Or get an SSD?

But even with those work arounds I would still be faced with the Integrated graphics issue... is there nothing that can be done to work around that? Like converting it into a more resource friendly format?

Back