Pixelated?

Through the help I've gotten here, I've managed to get Final Cut and my footage working properly. The pieces are coming together. But, here's something that happened today, and I'm worried that while everything is working all right, I might be missing something that will mess up the end product.

Here's a clip I exported today. I love the look of the shot. But, it looks so pixelated. I see squares everywhere I play it. In QT on my desktop the clip opens so large I have to view it in half size, just so it fits on my screen.

Is it just my player or am I exporting it incorrectly? I export it in the size of the timeline in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_BbgmAC56A

Those are compression artifacts due to a low encoding bitrate. If you see these same artifacts in your exported .mov file (before uploading to youtube) then you need to increase the bitrate used in the encoder.

A good google search on proper bitrates would be a good starting point.

dont go for the macro blocking look eh? :)

My guess is you using the export for youtube setting or something right?

I think in compressor video setting you can set the bitrate (I dont know FCP) for the apple h264 encoder... set it to at least 5000 KBPS or higher.

Thanks, these both helped. After reading these, I'm wondering if I exported Us Sinners properly. I liked the way it looked, so I was happy.

Besides this noticeable example of pixelated video, can exporting improperly mess with coloring? Make the video darker or lighter?

I've run into some serious gamma issues during encoding that make the video noticeably lighter or darker, and even if it looks right it can come out wrong when viewed in a web-browser via youtube or vimeo.

The Gamma Problem is a huge nightmare right now and I don't know of any good solutions. The best you can do is make sure you're working on a calibrated monitor and read up on your software's color workflow to keep your footage consistent. If you hit brightness problems on exporting that won't go away, you may need to add a brightness/contrast filter to your final export and trial-and-error your way to good output.

My nightmare just keeps getting worse. Yet, I know it's going to be an easy fix (fingers crossed).

I've been able to export all right now. I change a few things and the file looks good.

The scene I was working on, the room changes color because we were using outdoor lighting and by the time we finished it was starting to get dark (yeah it's a whole other thing to yell at me about). But, with color correction I was able to get it to look fairly cohesive.

I go to export my quick way, quicktime movie with no changes. About 45% through I get "General Error". Since I have a timeline without any color correction, I exported that, and it went through fine. So, obviously the problem with export now is clips with effects attached.

So, I decided to use COMPRESSOR to export the clip. I previewed the clip in Compressor and it was fine. But, this is how it looks after COMPRESSOR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2gEBOgEVBE

What the hell do I do now?

Yeah, it's a toughie.

I did find out one thing. I was able to export (my normal route) portions of the timeline. I narrowed it down to one clip that was giving the "general error". However, I was able to export that clip on it's own. So, I had three exports, and was able to combine those to create one full export.

This is just the second scene. DSLR looks AMAZING. But, I foresee a boat load of problems in the future.

One thing Final Cut did tell me, when I added "Soft Focus" to a clip, a warning came on saying "a sequence of this size can not be rendered with the current graphics card". Then of course it rendered and exported fine.

Back