Picking a Web Host.

I need a new web host.
I used to use MobleMe for it's simplicity and price (free to me). Now that Apple has shut that service down, I'm looking for a new place to host my personal site. webhostingpad.com & iPage.com seem like a good deal, but it's impossible to get unbiased reviews regarding web hosting companies. Your advice is appreciated.

Specs:
Personal website
Created in iWeb
Need Unlimited FTP to swap large files with an industry colleague.

Thanks

Thomas

Last edited:
Rok, hey, look, I'm no Mr. Webhost Experienced Man, or anything like that. But I'll give you my 2ยข. Who I have hosted with includes Go Daddy and Lunarpages. I could recommend both. But I'm inclined to recommend Go Daddy. Yes, I've read people complaining about Go Daddy being the AOL of webhosters etc. I have one domain sitting with them now. What I really appreciated with them when I used to actually maintain multiple websites was a very easy and user-friendly account interface. Really, it couldn't be easier and more convenient (back a number of years when I dealt with it regularly, anyway). If you wanted to change something, lickety split, no problem. If you wanted to cancel something, no problem...that was lickety split, too...and you could do it easily online. Such things weren't quite as easy with Lunarpages, but perhaps that's changed since then --it's been a while.

On the political end, if it matters to you, Go Daddy supported SOPA, but then, apparently, quickly recanted that support.

Anyway.

So, back then, anyway, Lunarpage's TOS was more liberal and hands off, and was recommended as being part of their top 10 by some webhosting review site that I read. But I always missed that user-friendly account interface that Go Daddy has (or at least had), plus, Go Daddy never gave me any trouble, either.

Okay,
This is my arena! Haha, I run a couple websites. It all depends on the content you want on the website, and how you plan on hosting said content, that defines how much bandwidth you'll need.

I've linked two of my websites below. Foglight is currently in production, but you can tell that it's a more complex site that has a lot of moving parts. That was designed in Adobe Muse, and we can host it through the Adobe Catalyst for around 15 bucks a month with a terabit of bandwidth, which is the best for the money.

Strike Magazine, on the other hand, is hosted on Wix. Personally, I've found that if you are a beginner website developer of any kind and want a very easy to use interface with a stylish outcome... Wix is the place to go, not Go Daddy or anything else. Wix's website creation is just miles beyond anything else I've experienced in the consumer arena. Wix would probably be really easy for you to navigate coming from iWeb. (Something I was very partial to as well for a long time)

Please read my article in Strike Online regarding Go Daddy, I have serious peeves with the way they run their business and false advertise internet hosting, so please read it, hopefully it can help you out with understanding not only the company Go Daddy, but common schemes and misconceptions about internet hosting.

Hope this helps a bit! Feel free to message me, this is my thing!

Foglight: http://www.foglightstudios.com/
Strike Magazine: http://www.strikemagazine.net/#!home/mainPage
My GoDaddy article: http://strikemagazineonline.blogspot.com/2012/08/why-i-hate-go-daddy.html

Oh, and keep in mind, you should still be able to use iWeb to build your site if you want to. You just have to export the site to a 1&1 or GoDaddy server instead of the MobileMe service it used to have. They discontinued MobileMe hosting, not the program itself.

Last edited:
Back