Photography copyright

I have to put some promotional graphics together for a friends dosumentary project, and I'm just wondering if I can use photos taken in music concert without asking for the organisers permission? Theres is no footage from the concert, just photos, and I need to get some posters done from them but we want to get it right...

Many thanks

The copyright belongs to the photographer. Unless the photographer
was working for the concert organizer. But you need permission.

if I can use photos taken in music concert without asking for the organisers permission?

There are often terms and conditions of concerts. Read them and they'll likely spell it out for you.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I worded the title a bit wrong, this is not really about copyright actually.

The concert was free and in a public place, so many people were taking pictures. I have contacted the organisers but haven't heard anything back yet... the event was not very professionally organised anyway, thats probably why but I guess this could still get me in trouble, although not very likely. My printer (print24) said I carry the risk myself (obviously) but said I need to be sure I have permission—not only to use them commercially but for merchandising spedifically as well.

In the end its just the band in the photos who I am sort of working for, so I guess the organisers shouldnt really have any reason to say no anyway. :hmm: Well lets see.

What you imply but for some reason do not say is the photos are
photos you took. If that is the case then you own the rights to
the photos. Not the organizers. You can use photos you took.

An exception would be if the organizers (or the band) specifically
stated then no photographs could be taken. But you don't mention
that either so we are left making assumptions.

Back