phantom power supply

In keeping with the spirit of 'work with what you've got.' I've been using my bf's BOSS BR-600 to record my audio using a cheap mic. I'm gonna be purchasing a couple mics better suited for what I'm doing (the buy one get one mics that Alcove recommended in another thread). Only problem is that they require phantom power which the BR-600 does not have.

So I found some phantom power supplies that are battery operated and have xlr in and out ports. My question is will these things have any significant effect on the quality? I mean, considering you're adding a middle-man, there must be some loss, but is it going to ruin my sound or will it just be a slight problem? Is it not worth getting these mics until I have a recorder with phantom power?

If not I'm gonna snatch one up!

I agree, but the last shoot I did, we had a maxed out genny providing the only power we had access to... so I always stock up on batteries for my audio gear before a shoot (new batteries every shoot weekend).

I also use batteries because I can't always guarantee building outlets are grounded well enough to prevent electrical separation amongst my gear... and the audio is where you notice it most when it happens with the annoying buzzing from motors/dimmers elsewhere on inconsistently/ subpar wiring in locations I have next to no control over.

I take the opposite road. I'd much rather have the clean power that I get from my NP-1s, than the funky, noisy, spiky A/C I seem coming from most set generators. The only think I plug in is my battery charger.

It's best to use a recorder that supplies it via A/C and not batteries because the deader the battery gets the worse the mic works (IMHO).

Just my 2 cents ;)

I take the opposite road. I'd much rather have the clean power that I get from my NP-1s, than the funky, noisy, spiky A/C I seem coming from most set generators. The only think I plug in is my battery charger.

Plugging a power conditioner/filter into the generator might help you there. Even my cheap Furhman makes a noticible difference, particularly playing in crappy bars with worse power. It is an investment though, particularly after you've stocked up on rechargable batteries.

Back