• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Parody Music Video Infringe Music Copyright?

Hi guys

I am thinking of making a Parody Music Video for the the "All by myself" (1975) by Eric Carmen for youtube

(Here's a youtube video of it for anyone interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3j_fdSpkmE)

Well... it's not exactly a Parody. You see, one of my close friend is going overseas to study, and as a farewell present, i was thinking of rearranging this song, change the lyrics a bit to "All by yourself", re-record it, and make a music video of it.

I was just wondering, since
1) Since the song is so old,
2) Since i'm re-arranging it
3) I'm going to record it again myself.

So would it still be infringing any copyright? Or if so, what could i do about it?

Thanks

Technically, it probably does, but if this is a private affair and strictly non-commercial it's probably not a big deal. If it goes viral and/or you have a YouTube partnership, you may be open to a lawsuit.

There are thousand upon thousands of wedding video highlights out there that don't have permission for the music they contain. It doesn't make it right, but it's an example.

If this were a short film that may be distributed or shown at festivals, I would say don't touch music owned by someone else with a ten foot pole unless you have purchased a license or have permission.

If it's non commercial then you should be fine but if you want to change lyrics in order to parody in the commercial world you will need permission from the copyright owner. Copyright expires around 75 years after the singwriter dies. And copyright on a recording expires around 75 years after the recording was made.

If it goes viral and/or you have a YouTube partnership, you may be open to a lawsuit.

I'm rather new to making videos, so i'm not a YouTube partner yet. But say if in the future i decide to apply, would one or two video from now affect my chances? Or should i delete the videos before i apply?

You'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about it on this occasion. Worst comes to worst they'll just take it down but look at Justin Bieber... He's doing alright for a serial copyright infringer...

look at Justin Bieber... He's doing alright for a serial copyright infringer...

Lol, and i love how he infringed the copyright to his own song by uploading them on to youtube twice, and got taken off twice by his own record company :lol:

But anyway, thanks guys, I think i just worry too much and will go ahead with the idea.

Thanks a lot, and i'll post a link into the show room once i'm done.

Back