• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

parenthetical questions.

Hello.

Do you use parenthesis is spec scripts or should they only be used for shooting scripts?

Is it possible to over use parenthesis in scripts?

Do you use parenthesis at intervals within the script or is it a simple case of common sense and stick um in when needed?

THANKS;)

Parentheticals are often referred to as wrylies because the most over used one is (wryly). Yes, you use parenthesis to establish them. Use them very sparingly. In general, if the scene makes sense without a wryly, don't use it.

Hello.
Thanks for the info. I have done some research around the net and i must say, it's a mixed bag of advice. I think i will use them, but only when absolutely necessary.

Thanks, Nigel. ;)

With regard to dialogue:

Avoid them in ALL scripts unless they are NEEDED.

A Parenthetical is ONLY called for when the thing inside them is NOT evident from the context of the scene.

(smiles) only belongs in Parenthesis if she was frowning while she was speaking then switched gears in mid sentence.

In a spec script, rather than putting A FEW MINUTES LATER on the right side of the page as a Transition, one may use (LATER) on the left so as not to break up the read.

Hello.

Do you use parenthesis is spec scripts or should they only be used for shooting scripts?

Is it possible to over use parenthesis in scripts?

Do you use parenthesis at intervals within the script or is it a simple case of common sense and stick um in when needed?

THANKS;)

Back