Panasonic PV-GS90 and Microphones

I recently bought this camera from a local Best Buy. It was in my price range, and the video quality was about what I was looking for. The sound quality sucks on it, but I figured that could be fixed with a good quality microphone. My pet peeve is bad sound, so looking at the camera and through the user's manual, it doesn't look like there is a mic input on the camera. Did I just get screwed over by the Sales Rep or is there some magical adapter I can plug in somewhere that will work with it?

In that vein, I'm looking for a good microphone to use. I've heard that shotgun mics are the way to go, but I'm really new to making my own films. My budget is fairly low, but I'm willing to skip a few meals to save up some money. Any suggestions? Thanks!

In that price range.. it's hard to say. The Canon ZR930, which Best Buy also carries has a mic input, though like any small camera that only has the tiny headphone jack sized mic input you'd want to use a beachtek or similar adapter with a nice XLR mic. Given the cost involved in that (which is really the best way to get decent audio) it seems a shame to tether to a camera of this calibre... you might be better off saving your money for a bit until you can afford something a bit better. But that's just my opinion.

Keep in mind it's best to record the audio seperate from the video.

You want a shotgun microphone (with a wind filter if you're shooting outside) that runs down a boom pole (Long pole that holds the microphone) and into a mixer/recorder.

My friend bought a boom pole, mic and 25 foot XLR cable for $200... SoundProfessionals.com is a great site for audio equipment.

You a can also buy a mixer and sound recorder pretty cheap, (Mixer: $140-180, Recorder: $100-200).

Or you can rent a mixer/recorder/boom mic/pole/cables from a place like Coffey Sound (Burbank) or Location Sound (Burbank), you can rent the entire package for like $75 or so.

If you're strapped and you would rather just get a shotgun mic, boom pole and plug the XLR cable into your camera.. that's one way, but you can't have to many moving shots if you limit yourself like that... entirely up to you.

It's not necessarily any better to record audio separate from the image. When shooting digital video, if you are able to record acceptable audio onto the same tape it eliminates the need to sync it later.

Given the camera that's being discussed, it's a pretty safe bet that Antonon is not planning to shoot anything requiring a large crew and separate audio recording. If, however that IS the plan, then this camera really has no place on that set -- aside from maybe someone running around getting behind the scenes footage.

I had a few issues with audio feedback when connecting straight to the camera that I've never gotten recording seperately.. plus you can control the levels, whereas going straight to the camera you cant...(I mean you CAN but you cant monitor and adjust the levels during filming... unless your cam op is really talented).

Plus, in my opinion, it just frees you up to more creative shots... the less things holding the camera back from moving the better.

Sounds like you had something hooked up wrong then... there's no reason there should ever be any kind of feedback because you're running audio into the camera. And although I've never considered myself much of a camera operator, apparently I'm "really talented" because I have no problem monitoring levels and adjusting as needed.

At any rate... I think the important thing to note here is that if a guy is only spending $250 on a camera, they aren't very likely to want to shell out as much or more for audio gear..

Last edited:
From what it sounds like, I'm just gonna have to save my money and get a really nice set up. I'm a musician, so I have a decent amount of experience with sound balance and such. Is there somewhere that has a visual description of different filming/audio set ups, though? I don't mind recording separately if it means better quality, but I'm only using iMovie 6 because I can't afford the higher-end editing software. Would that be an issue for syncing audio or does it still work out ok? Thanks for all the help thus far, I returned the other camera today and am looking at other options.

slate your shots somehow, either with a regular clapper board, or just litterally clapping your hands in front of the camera. The key is you want something that will make a sharp snapping sound that you can distinguish visually -- with a clapper board that's when the clapper slams shut, or when your hands come together if you just clap on screen... you sync the frame of video when they collide with the audio peak of the sound and you're set. It can be tedious, but it's not impossible.

Back