Panasonic HMC 150. Best buy?

So I'm looking for a good camera to start off with. I want to use it primarily for shooting the screenplays that I've been writing. I don't have the cash right at this instant, but I've started saving for it now and am looking in the $1000-$4500 price range.
I want something I can pretty much take straight out of the box and start shooting with without spending an additional $1000 or so in accessories. (Eventually I'll upgrade it, but I want something I can still work with while I'm raising money for the extra goodies.)

At first I was interested in the Canon XH A1, but this camera I like a little more because of:
A.) The Wide-Angle lens that comes with it
B.) The amazing color reception
C.) Weight
D.) Depth of Field
Here's an example of why I like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h07uiLDH_i4&p=1CDB61E479E1BB92&playnext=1&index=6

Is this the best bang for my buck?
If not, any other suggestions?

I was also considering the following (In no particular order):
  • Canon XL H1
  • Canon XH A1
  • Sony HDR FX7
  • Sony HVR HD1000
  • Sony HVR-Z1U
  • RED Scarlet (If they ever actually release it...)

I produced a 48hour with my Letus 35mm adapter and the DP's HMC150. Great look and quality.
Id love that camera, its an upgrade (big time) for me.

Ill let CF come in and talk DSLR..

Thanks for the feedback.

I've heard some good things about that 35mm adapter as well as the DSLR's the Canon 7D (I believe) in particular. I hear there's issues with the frame rates on those tho but I'm not sure if that's just inexperience with it or what. The reviews are mixed.

I prefer something that can do 60fps when I need it to for slow-mo. I like more frames than slow-mo in post.

Ill let CF come in and talk DSLR..

:lol:

Actually, I wasn't planning on it, cuz I figured the guy's already decided he wants HDV, but since you mentioned it:

TI, I don't wanna go into too much detail about the pros and cons of DSLR, cuz I've already done so in other threads. I think this one's good to look at:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=24887

If you're asking about best bang for your buck, absolutely nothing comes even close to the T2i, in my opinion. Have you seen footage from this camera? And for $800?!

Also, I'm a little confused about you mentioning depth of field -- I assume you're talking about shallow depth of field, but I've never seen footage from an HDV camera with anything even remotely close to the same look as DSLR, without the use of one of the 35mm adapters wheat mentioned. Is this camera different from the rest, in that respect?

I'm not sure what the issues with the frame rates are, that you mentioned. I think you must've heard something about the 5D. I believe, in the beginning, it's frame-rates were limited, but it's since been updated. The 7D and T2i both shoot at 24p, 30p, and 60p, in HD (though, only 24p and 30p are full HD; the 60p is 720). Needless to say, I would assume that the 60D will also shoot at each of those frame rates.

If you've already investigated DSLR, and are choosing not to go with it, I assume you have valid reason. However, if you haven't fully investigated it, you'd be a fool not to -- they're not for everybody, but the bandwagon is crammed full, for good reason. Lots of things to like.

:lol:

Actually, I wasn't planning on it, cuz I figured the guy's already decided he wants HDV, but since you mentioned it:

TI, I don't wanna go into too much detail about the pros and cons of DSLR, cuz I've already done so in other threads. I think this one's good to look at:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=24887

If you're asking about best bang for your buck, absolutely nothing comes even close to the T2i, in my opinion. Have you seen footage from this camera? And for $800?!

Also, I'm a little confused about you mentioning depth of field -- I assume you're talking about shallow depth of field, but I've never seen footage from an HDV camera with anything even remotely close to the same look as DSLR, without the use of one of the 35mm adapters wheat mentioned. Is this camera different from the rest, in that respect?

I'm not sure what the issues with the frame rates are, that you mentioned. I think you must've heard something about the 5D. I believe, in the beginning, it's frame-rates were limited, but it's since been updated. The 7D and T2i both shoot at 24p, 30p, and 60p, in HD (though, only 24p and 30p are full HD; the 60p is 720). Needless to say, I would assume that the 60D will also shoot at each of those frame rates.

If you've already investigated DSLR, and are choosing not to go with it, I assume you have valid reason. However, if you haven't fully investigated it, you'd be a fool not to -- they're not for everybody, but the bandwagon is crammed full, for good reason. Lots of things to like.

Thanks.

No I haven't looked into DSLR too much so I'm not opposed to them, I'm just more familiar with conventional camcorders.
I plan on building myself an arsenal of cameras so I'm looking into lots of options and I appreciate the link.

I understand that the DSLR cameras do have pretty good depth of feild.
I was comparing the Panasonic to other camcorders I've seen rather than those, as again, I really don't know much about them. I did mean deep DOF, not shallow however. My primary comparison would be between this and the HX-1A. The difference may be that Panasonic isn't HDV. No cassette.

Thanks again... now I have some reading to do... at 4:24 AM :weird:

Thanks.

No I haven't looked into DSLR too much so I'm not opposed to them, I'm just more familiar with conventional camcorders.
I plan on building myself an arsenal of cameras so I'm looking into lots of options and I appreciate the link.

I understand that the DSLR cameras do have pretty good depth of feild.
I was comparing the Panasonic to other camcorders I've seen rather than those, as again, I really don't know much about them. I did mean deep DOF, not shallow however. My primary comparison would be between this and the HX-1A. The difference may be that Panasonic isn't HDV. No cassette.

Thanks again... now I have some reading to do... at 4:24 AM :weird:

Well, thanks to my lame-o insomnia, I'm still up at 6AM, and not for lack of trying to sleep. So, I'm giving up on sleep right now, and am about to watch the "New Moon" rifftrax. When I finish that, I've decided I need to type up a quick pros/cons list of reasons to (or reasons not to) purchase DSLR. It's all been discussed in this forum before, but it'd be convenient to have it all in one location. So, if you can wait a few hours, I'll have a nicely condensed pro/con list for you.

Also, I'm not saying you don't understand the difference between shallow and deep depth of field, but I think it's possible you might. All cameras have deep depth of field. The frequently sought-after is shallow (that's when less stuff is in focus). Anyway, thought I'd clarify, just in case.

Cheers

Well, thanks to my lame-o insomnia, I'm still up at 6AM, and not for lack of trying to sleep. So, I'm giving up on sleep right now, and am about to watch the "New Moon" rifftrax. When I finish that, I've decided I need to type up a quick pros/cons list of reasons to (or reasons not to) purchase DSLR. It's all been discussed in this forum before, but it'd be convenient to have it all in one location. So, if you can wait a few hours, I'll have a nicely condensed pro/con list for you.

Also, I'm not saying you don't understand the difference between shallow and deep depth of field, but I think it's possible you might. All cameras have deep depth of field. The frequently sought-after is shallow (that's when less stuff is in focus). Anyway, thought I'd clarify, just in case.

Cheers

Booya:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=25684

Also, the "New Moon" rifftrax is HILARIOUS!

Dear Cracker Funk: You are awesome. I dig it, thanks.

CF, This one is for you. lol You HAVE convinced me that DSLR is badass to say the least. But I'm still in love with this camera. So the verdict is... I'll probably end up with BOTH. The hard part is deciding which one to get first.
I suppose it depends on what scripts I get finished first as some require more action than others.

Here's some shallow DOF with the HMC150
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxU6V2kOwVU

For anyone who owns this camera, I'd like to know specs on the computer you edit with please.
I'm a Premier guy.

Nice-looking footage. If you can get both, more power to ya! In trying to decide which to get first, you might want to consider the very high probability that DSLRs will be seeing some pretty big changes over the next couple years, as the demand is met for DSLR for video (so in other words, maybe better to get the HDV cam first, and hold off to see what new developements come in DSLR).

Here's some shallow DOF with the HMC150
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxU6V2kOwVU

The video is a bit misleading. The camera is essentially tricked into giving DoF by shooting from further away and zooming in close on the subject. I'm not saying it's not a nice camera, but plenty of other cameras would probably give a comparable image in the same circumstances. With a DSLR, you would have a lot more options as far as DoF is concerned.

Nice-looking footage. If you can get both, more power to ya! In trying to decide which to get first, you might want to consider the very high probability that DSLRs will be seeing some pretty big changes over the next couple years, as the demand is met for DSLR for video (so in other words, maybe better to get the HDV cam first, and hold off to see what new developements come in DSLR).

Definitely... I'd really like to see what RED's Scarlet has to offer if they ever release the damn thing.

The video is a bit misleading. The camera is essentially tricked into giving DoF by shooting from further away and zooming in close on the subject. I'm not saying it's not a nice camera, but plenty of other cameras would probably give a comparable image in the same circumstances. With a DSLR, you would have a lot more options as far as DoF is concerned.

Point taken. Thanks. I didn't realize that's what they were doing until I watched it again. Good eye!:weird:

This is off subject but Sin, where are you in Detroit? I'm from Southfield!

And filmmaking wise, if I ever get my feature off the ground, I'll be shooting in Motown for a bit. Which will be awesome.

I agree with you, sort of, but I can't really agree with your use of the phrase "tricked into giving DoF by shooting from further away".

What I can agree on is that a DSLR will definitely get a considerably more shallow depth of field than this camera, if that is the best it has to offer. However, no matter what camera you're using, the methods used in this video are some of the basic straight-forward how-to-attain-shallow-depth-of-field. I've never used this camera, but I think the footage looks pretty nice, and I don't see any trickeration. That's just my two cents.

Back