• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Panasonic GH1 question

Kind of old question but will answer anyway. Owned the GH1 for about 2 months then got rid of it, not because of video quality but because I wanted a better camera, the GH1 was all computerized and had no mirror in it. As far as video, thought it did a great job if you didn't move too fast, that would just cause a "jello" effect. As far as using for shooting, im sure alot of people do it, but i already have a dedicated video camera and the GH1 didn't fit. Also, it is a micro 4/3 (or is it 3/4) camera which means lens choice is very limited and very expensive, unless of course you have an adapter in which you can use other lenses (ie, Nikon, Canon, etc.) However, because it is a film lens that you would be using, you can def play with depth of field which is a big plus!

Jona

I disagree totally with the above post. The GH1 is a fabulous choice for video and it has a wide choice of lenses. I have the kit lens two Canon FD lenses with adapter. FDs are cheap on ebay and the adapter is cheap as well. I also have a Canon EF adapter which allows me to use any Canon lens I want. It has very little jello or mud and while the rolling shutter can cause problems its very simple to get great looking HD footage with shallow DOF. I like it better than the 7D even though I can't hook up an external monitor like the 7D can. The last film fest at dvxuser.com was won by a GH1 even with camera's like the Red and lots of HVX 200s in the fest. Try it you'll learn to love it.

Back