Panasonic AG-DVX100 3CCD v Canon XL1S

I've been looking for a prosumer camera that produces a decent image, but is relatively inexpensive used, and narrowed it down to the DVX100 3CCD and the Canon XL1S.

Right now, I am leaning toward the Panasonic. I've read they are comparable to high end Sony cameras, in its ability to film in low light. The 24p sounds cool, I like the idea of my digital video looking more like film. I also don't have to buy a XLR adaptor for the DVX100. However, the main drawback to the DVX100, as far as I have read, you can't use manual focus when shooting in 24p.

My questions are as follows: Would you agree the DVX100 3CCD is a better choice than the XL1S? Are there other decent used cameras in the $600-700 that I am overlooking?

This is just coming from a user that has loved using the DVX100b, but you can definitely manual focus at 24p...... because the camera has a manual focus ring....

But I too do wonder why you'd want to go Standard in this day and age? Certainly there's nothing wrong with shooting with it and film quality doesn't necessarily determine how well it's shot along with the story, but HD is very much preferred these days.

Last edited:
While I'm a big DVX100 fan (having owned one for many years) and it was a great camera, I highly recommend you look at a High Definition camera. I haven't shot standard definition in over five years and you need to future proof you work.

What's your budget for a camera? For the price of a used DVX100, you could get a Canon T3i that shoots HD. A used Canon T2i can be found for around $400.

Scott

Back