PAL conversion from frame mode

Clive (and all the other Europeans) might know the answer to this one.

We have a solid inquiry on International (non-US) broadcast distribution of a documentary we shot two years ago. The company (out of Australia) thinks it will be a "hit" overseas and we're excited at the prospect of getting this on the air.

Of course, they need the master converted to PAL format.

The program was shot in NTSC "Frame Mode" and there is some stutter to the picture when converting to PAL. Since the original material was shot at 30p instead of 60i, are there any processes that could improve the picture? Have others experienced this problem?

Let me know!
Thanks.
Eric

Have you already tried to conversion? If so what wasn't looking so good? Can you describe what you're seeing?

30p to 25p (or 24p) is a bit more difficult to convert than 60i. I'm not entirely sure what the best way to do that would be.

As I mentioned, there is some stutter to the picture. When the camera moves or the subjects move they move with a more "jerky" motion than a smooth motion. This would be quite apparent on the final as much of the movie takes place in a moving car.

Thanks for any input!
Eric

Can't help you on this one from my own knowledge, however in the UK most of the industry's tape conversion get done by these guys.

www.dubbs.co.uk

If you e-mail them with the issue there is a good chance they have a solution.

If they can't help

http://www.vet.co.uk/

The guy who is the technical director here knows more about tape format conversion than anyone I've ever meet. He saved my life a few times in HD issues, when nobody, including the manufacturers, could help.

Back