• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Page Breaks

Little detail question here. How does everyone handle their page breaks? I couldn't find anything specific in my formatting book about this. Specifically, what's the minimum amount of lines you leave at the top/bottom of pages for both action and dialogue? I seem to have been playing around with this some time ago, and now of course, there is no default button. I'm guessing it's two, but just want to make sure.

Little detail question here. How does everyone handle their page breaks? I couldn't find anything specific in my formatting book about this. Specifically, what's the minimum amount of lines you leave at the top/bottom of pages for both action and dialogue? I seem to have been playing around with this some time ago, and now of course, there is no default button. I'm guessing it's two, but just want to make sure.

Generally you don't want to split dialog across a page break at all if you can help it, but if you must, you should be sure to use a (MORE) or (Cont'd) notation.. Personally I think if you have to split action across a page break, anything less than 2 or 3 lines of text on either side of the break should have you moving the entire block to the new page rather than splitting it.

It's an interesting question though, I don't know that I've ever read any hard & fast rules on this either. Perhaps one of the gurus can comment.

Back