• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Overcoming Idea Mental Block

Hi everyone ,

I'm new to screenwriting . Whatever i know about screenwriting is from the Syd field's screenwriting workshop dvd .

I decided to write a short film screenplay but I'm having trouble generating ideas .I have whole day to write but I'm not even able to think about the beginning or the end .I really hate myself as i always thought i had good imagination.

How to overcome this mental block ?

Thank you​

Hi everyone ,

I'm new to screenwriting . Whatever i know about screenwriting is from the Syd field's screenwriting workshop dvd .

I decided to write a short film screenplay but I'm having trouble generating ideas .I have whole day to write but I'm not even able to think about the beginning or the end .I really hate myself as i always thought i had good imagination.

Thank you​

For my first couple of screenplays I did adaptations. That allows you to start with a basic outline of the story. It allows you to concentrate on formatting, writing good dialogue, translating the written medium to a visual one, etc... If you pick a classic (I did H P Lovecraft) it's likely public domain (just confirm that).

Hi everyone ,

Thank you​

I don't think you're ready to write if you don't really have an idea...

So don't force it.

Go do something to clear your synapses... I'm serious. Something that's repetitive but that you enjoy. Beforehand, have some kind of an idea of WHAT KIND OF STORY you're interested in doing... But again, don't force it. Just tell you subconscious to work on an idea.

Once you get the idea, then do some research before you write... Consider your structure. Work out the throughline to the end.

Then write.

filmy

I think you just need to relax. It sounds like you are being too hard on yourself and are just making things too complicated.

One of the things I would say to try is to think of the character you want to tell the story of and make him interesting. How about someone like an ex mexican wrestler who gave up the sport because he had a problem with the violence but he still just wears the mask daily. Then just think of an interesting situation and throw your character right into the middle of it. Try something like The wrestler's niece has been kidnapped because of a mistake he made. This could be anything, even something as simply as he refused to sell his business to the mob and now they are trying to set an example with him. Try to think of a great beginnning and a great ending and fill in the rest the best you can. Just take it slow and remember there is always second and third drafts to fix up your story.

Right now, it's probably best to just deal in ideas. It doesn't matter if they're fully-formed and completely fleshed out. Just go about your day and try to keep your mind open to story ideas, no matter how absurd they sound.

And every time you get one, write it down. Build up a collection of ideas and start getting your mind into a point where it can take in and develop ideas from all possibilities and influences. Once you have a few ideas written down, start going through them and seeing where you can next go with them.

My stories always start with a picture in my head of a single event in the story. I write the middle first, every time. I then sit down with creative friends (generally writers, but not always) and talk through the story, how did it get to this point, where does it go from here. Lots of creative fun! That gives a written outline which then becomes the eventual script.

No one way to write a script, but writing something generally gets you in the writing mode, sometimes just starting with "Pen Vomit" (anything that comes out - even if it's just a string of random non-related words) will resolve into something useful. I've had 10 page short stories that I really liked come from that technique.

When I'm brainstorming for new ideas I look for weird news or anything that can spark an idea. Or I find a writing prompt and just write freely for 10 or 15 minutes and see where it takes me. Try to get into the habit of writing for 15 minutes everyday for a couple weeks, then do 30 minutes, and then do 45, once you do these kind of exercises its not uncommon for ideas to just flow to you.

Back