• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Other Writing

So, I was thinking about my experience in the stuff I've written besides screenplays. I've been writing professionally for twelve years with material like short stories, poetry, novels, reviews for music, films and books. I'm actually pretty new to screenwriting (I wrote my first film script in January 2007).

Anyway, it's kind of a dumb question, but I guess I was wondering if anyone else started out writing something else before making the jump into screenplays. If so, was it difficult, easier to express your idea than with a short story or novel, stuff like that.

I started writing short stories and novels (mostly fan fiction) first before I started on screenplays. I only started writing screenplays a year and a half ago.

But as to what's easier, it depends on your preference of writing. Writing novels/ short stories, I found it easier to get into the characters heads, but harder to write complicated action sequences seeing as I tend to write in 3rd person past tense. With screenplays, it's the opposite for me. I don't get much into the characters heads, but I found it much easier to churn out the action stuff.

It depends on what I'm writing, I guess. I've been able to more effectively carry out some of my stories by translating them from their original short story format and into script. I find novels to have more detail than their film counterparts. Compare the Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings books to their movies. While both are good, the novels tend to have much more detail because they aren't reliant on the length issues that screenplays have.

Interesting...

So, I was thinking about my experience in the stuff I've written besides screenplays. I've been writing professionally for twelve years with material like short stories, poetry, novels, reviews for music, films and books. I'm actually pretty new to screenwriting (I wrote my first film script in January 2007).

Anyway, it's kind of a dumb question, but I guess I was wondering if anyone else started out writing something else before making the jump into screenplays. If so, was it difficult, easier to express your idea than with a short story or novel, stuff like that.

I've been approached to turn one of my scripts into a book... Haven't decided to do it or not YET because of all the time it's going to require...

Screenwriting is the first real serious writing I've ever done... In high school and college I could write a 40 page term paper just a few hours before class -- turn it in -- get an A. I never thought of that as real writing...

Screenwriting took me about 2 years to completely UNDERSTAND when it comes to basics i.e., formatting and structure.

So I've taken said script, read a few articles on writing novels -- not books, just articles... I've ALWAYS been of the mindset that a good script SHOULD serve a great outline for a novel.

So I took the first 10 pages of my script and just banged them out in novel form... Came to about 30 pages and it was SO MUCH EASIER than screenwriting... LOL.

The freedom! Very cathartic. LOL.

Not that this observation helps with your question but I thought it was worth mentioning.

filmy

Well, I write hundreds of e-mails (reports, summaries, etc.) in any given week. I used to get mad at myself because I wasn't writing as much as I should until it dawned on me I am writing thousands of words a day.

Poems, short stories and even game campaigns (AD&D first edition) in my younger years helped keep the ink flowing. And I was studying fiction writing with plans to be a novelist before I turned my attention to Hollywood.

I write something every day religiously. I just need to spend more time writing my script(s).

I'm the opposite barnaclelapse. I find scripts much easier to write than prose. And more enjoyable, because you get into the heart of the story faster.

Back