Opinions Please. What to bring for run & gun.

Hello all!! It's been a while but I am not gone yet. I have an opportunity to do a workshop in NYC soon and need to decide what my R&G (run and gun) gear should be from the kit I own already.
So here goes, the list:
6D
70D
Canon 10-22
Tamron 24-70
Tamron 70-300
Canon 50/1.4
Canon 40/2.8
Super Tak 55/1.8
1.4 Tamron Pro extender
Basic Macro adapter 3 pc kit
Teac pocket recorder
DR-40 recorder
Cheap Lav. mic (x2)
ATR-6550 shotgun mic
AT897 shotgun mic

So.... I need to be ultra portable as the workshop is all day and involves complete unknown locations. What would be your suggestion as minimum gear to bring along? I am really excited to learn more about documentary style shooting/editing and can't wait. Just want to make sure I don't regret packing the wrong gear.
OK, let the opinions fly (but no fights please, LOL).:lol:

Last edited:
Hmm ok, thanks. Lenses and accessories are optional but we are supplied with Sony A7s and metabones for our lens system. Just trying to figure out if I bring it all or just a 24-70??? Looking for experienced doc runners to shed light on street gear.. Thought I'd try anyway.

Definitely need a camera. Lenses would be good as well.

My choice (for what it's worth) is the two Tamrons and the Canon 50. The Canon is for head shots at 80mm with the 7D's crop. H4 and the mics. 7D would be the choice as it's tough and will survive.

The things I'd bring that aren't on this list are:

- Shoulder rig. Essential. Maybe a fig rig if you don't want to cough up for a shoulder rig but for a DSLR this is a no-brainer. You can also attach the sound kit to.
- Monopod with a nice fluid head attached if you don't have the above. With the kit you have, I suspect you'll have a couple lying around.
- Spare batteries. Lots. However many you need - just bring more.
- Spare cards. Lots of.
- A light to put somewhere depending on what you're doing.
- Incredibly warm clothes.
- Food & Water
- Pocket copy of laws relating to filming restrictions in the location

Enjoy. Let us know what you learned.

Last edited:
Thank you gorillaonabike, I appreciate the input. We are using Sony A7s cameras with metabones with a theme on low light shooting. I decided to bring both the Tamron lenses and the 50mm, as well as my 6D with the 40mm on it as a walk around cam for when we are not in session. They are providing monopods or tripods, our choice. I figure with a monopod I can let it hang as a steadycam substitute if I have to. And we are walking for 8 hours so packing light and dressing in layers (and packing snacks and water) seems wise. I do want to bring my skate dolly just in case though...

Sounds like this is for the PB workshop? My impression was that they were basically providing the equipment necessary for the workshop. I'd personally travel as light as possible for something like that and not bring any more equipment than you absolutely need.

A DSLR for a run and gun shoot? Good luck with that.

Why not? Sure it takes some practice but it's really not that much more difficult than any other camera.

Thank you gorillaonabike, I appreciate the input. We are using Sony A7s cameras with metabones with a theme on low light shooting. I decided to bring both the Tamron lenses and the 50mm, as well as my 6D with the 40mm on it as a walk around cam for when we are not in session. They are providing monopods or tripods, our choice. I figure with a monopod I can let it hang as a steadycam substitute if I have to. And we are walking for 8 hours so packing light and dressing in layers (and packing snacks and water) seems wise. I do want to bring my skate dolly just in case though...

Tripods for run 'n' gun????? Not much running there!

If you have the A7S, EF to E-Mount adaptor with Metabones, I'm guessing you won't need any light to shoot with!

Depends on the DSLR. But that's a pretty specific situation and a camcorder is probably more appropriate - what the OP is talking about is just running around NY shooting on the street footage at night. A DSLR, monopod and a couple good lenses should cover it - plus spare batteries of course. Most of that is being provided as part of the workshop, which is specifically focused on the A7s.

So this workshop was pretty interesting, learned some stuff and met some great talented people. Thank you all for your input, turns out I could have packed so much lighter as B&H provided almost everything.

Here's Philip Blooms little trailer of the event: http://youtu.be/e-TYpcG8G7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-TYpcG8G7A

Last edited:
Back