Opinions on becoming more of a colorist... with COLOR the program

So I am a FC studio user, and have done most of my color adjustments with the FCP color tools, more often than not the 3-way color corrector. Well, today at work I sent my project to the program "Color" on accident. I admit, that is the one FCS programs I have never used before.

I played around with it a bit, and found it more easy to get the color I wanted and it seemed to be a ton more complex than what final cut itself offers.

I was wondering if anyone is a Color user and finds it worth the time to get to know or take the 6 hour lynda.com training on?

Apple Color is FANFREAKINGTASTIC

I love it. It is an incredibly powerful tool for color correction. There are so many levels of control that you can usually accomplish anything you want with just a little work (and often no roto). I use it at work in corporate videos, but mostly for fixing problems in lighting and whatnot, rather than stylistic effects.

The work flow can take a little bit to get used to, and some of the masking and tracking tools are limited, but if you're just using 3-way CC now, I think Color is very worth learning.

I did an Apple Color pass on my short "Dirty Hands", if you want to see an example. I think it adds a lot to the fluorescent lighting that I had to work with.
http://krpdesign.com/mo_dirtyHands.html

And I've heard good things about Lynda specifically (I think the pass gives you access to other Lynda tutorials as well - so you could brush up on Motion and some more complex FCP stuff as weel IIRC :)

Back