• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Only The Young Die Good (2013) Noir feature.

Just completing and exporting my third feature today. It's a no budget period 1940s detective noir film. Pretty happy with how it turned out in the end and have just uploaded a trailer to vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/59815254

I don't really have a lot of technical skills as an editor so cutting a trailer is tricky for me but I was able to do all of it within Edius which at least saved my sanity. Maybe has a couple rough edges but I'm reasonably happy with it. What do you think?

And a poster:

OTYDGTeaser.jpg

This is the tricky part isn't it? Sending off our first screener to an international film fest today ($80. Ouch!). Going to hit all the large local ones and then turn our attentions overseas.

Very hard to know which festivals internationally are worth hitting up. I think the films good but it's still a very small film so I assume larger festivals won't be interested and then you have to start thinking about which smaller festivals are actually worth playing at. Festival submissions quickly get incredibly expensive for features. Certainly I want to play somewhere, anywhere, in New York because I'm just desperate to have an excuse to visit.

Major goal though is I want to try to force this film into a limited release at one of the local independent cinemas. There aren't many of them around any more so not a lot of options but that's my primary focus.

Very nice! Looks like a really cool movie. I think you're selling yourself short -- you edited this quite nicely.

A couple things that jump out at me -- I think the company logos are too long, and perhaps not needed. You've got a couple shots that I think linger just a little bit too long (for example, when the dame walks over to the window -- not really any need for that shot to be so long). And the music -- it's really great, but near the end it sounds like I'm hearing two different songs, and they're not quite in time with each other. Maybe the composer intended it that way? Or did you edit it that way? Lastly, some of those shots are ridiculously beautiful, while some are kinda meh, and in the trailer-editing process, I think it's important to highlight the shots that really look great.

But I'm only offering these critiques because I get the impression that's what you want. Otherwise, I think you did a fantastic job here. That being said, I'm gonna PM you, cuz I've taken a liking to editing trailers, your movie looks intriguing to me, and I could really surprise you, in a good way. A fresh pair of eyes is a good thing to have.

Back