Online Film Schools?

I've been wanting to look into film school, but the two nearest to me (Vancouver Film School and the British Columbia Institute of Technology) are both vastly out of my price range. I can't go the student loan route (for reasons I won't get into here), and no one I know has a spare CDN$30,000-$55,000 for tuition (never mind living expenses).

However, I have seen, on this site, Google ads for the New York Video School, which is completely online. 7 day free trial, US$9.95/month or US$99.95/year.

I'm tempted to give it a try (for the next couple of months, I'll make US$10 in about 1/2 hour at work), but I would like to know if anyone here has any experience with NYVS. Or any other online film schools that could be recommended.

I don't assume that we're talking a top notch film education here (though I could be wrong), but could this at least be the difference between "Dude! That totally sucks!" and "Wow! That didn't suck as much as I thought!"? :)

Of course, if you really are Michael Rosenblum (just look at how many Britney Spears' you can find on some forums :)), wouldn't that make you slightly biased? ;)

I am seriously considering that one, though. Shameless self-promotion or not. :lol:

My question is: What can you learn from an online film school that you can't learn from a bunch of books? ;)

If you really want to succeed in the film industry you need to get practical experience. Get your hands on a camera and immerse yourself into a group of people that are as passionate about film as you are. I think that's the only way to learn.

If you can't afford something like VFS (don't recommend them anyway) then find a good college with a good broadcasting program. They'll get a camera in your hands, give you a pool of actors and crew to work with, and generally only cost about $3,000 to $4,000 a year in tuition.

Well, I am going the book route, as well. Over the next couple of months, I'll probably be picking up a couple hundred dollars worth of books. (Good thing I love to read, anyway! :))

And, unfortunately, no one in my area provides these kinds of courses. The nearest place I could find is a 4 hour drive away. I'm always on the look-out, though.

I guess I should have mentioned that those two are actually an 8 hour drive away. I found one about 4 hours away, but looking at it again, it's not quite what I'm after. I think the online schools I'm looking at are more to supplement what I have in mind to pick up as far as books are concerned.

Back