Online Film Promotion Advice

Hey guys! Some of you might have seen that i've done a few shorts that are up in the Screening>Narrative (/shamelessplug) forum, which are all hosted on my Youtube and while that has helped their exposure, i'm finding it difficult to discover places where it's going to be seen. I'm not very experienced in that area and have only really recently been pushing my films on the internet.

Can any of you guys help me out? Any advice would be useful! Thanks!

Is your movie for filmmakers or the public?

If it's more for the public, try promoting it via sites like MILKANDCOOKIES.COM or TWITTER or FACEBOOK and MYSPACE, etc. Start there and try to find other sites that promote videos.

It's for both of them - i'm putting it out there for people to see but would also like to put it around a place that would get it seen by many filmmakers and offer some useful feedback. It's not for profit, only for advice.

Can anyone recommend any others?
Thanks a lot for the link to milkandcookies sonnyboo, i'll take a look!

The key is to build a website, and have an opt in to build an email list. Also build a link wheel with many different landing pages talking about your films with opt ins. No filmmaker is doing this because most folks don't understand Internet marketing. Build a list of folks that become fans. And you really don;t need any other median than social media like Facebook. Create a like page and just post as much info about your film. Take advantage of the internet.

Thanks a lot for the advice LFO! I'm interested in what you're saying but I need some further explanation on the idea of having opt-ins for email lists and link wheels. How do I go about constructing these, and is there an effective way of getting a lot of exposure on them? I'm going to put my films out on Milk and Cookies, which looks like it is somewhat similar to Youtube in that it's hit-and-miss in terms of popularity.

I'm very intruiged by creating a page as you say, but as i'm one of those who have yet to take advantage of the internet, further advice would be very useful. Thanks LFO!

Social media like facebook is certainly important, but in my experience it's not as good as you'd think it is. The problem is updates move too fast - for instance, if someone's a fan of your page and also has a hundred or more friends (typical) then the chance that they miss your post in the noise of all their friend's updates is pretty high. And even if they see it, if they aren't ready or able to watch your video at that moment (i.e. they're at work or something) it'll be long gone later that day or the next.

A mailing list seems to be more useful simply because as busy as an in-box can be for most people it's less busy than their FB news feed. You can get better results from forums that are aligned in some way with the subject of your film. You'll get even better results though if you can get your film linked/posted on a popular blog which is aligned somehow with the subject/content of the film.

"Link wheels" and related SEO tactics are basically designed to game search engine results. I don't think they're worth the time for a filmmaker because search engines are frankly an extraordinarily poor way to reach an audience with your film. Search engines are designed so someone looking for something can find it, and the whole problem is that no one is looking for your film - yet. A well designed basic website with a good deal of relevant text content will show up in a search engine if someone is already searching for your film, so that's definitely useful. But you can't sit around hoping someone will search for it - you need to be proactive by finding the online communities that are likely to be interested in your film and reaching out to them. An important first step is deciding who that likely audience is - and if you're answer is "everyone" you're probably wrong.

I believe you need to create OTHER high traffic sites with links to your home site. For example create a page that generates 100,000 hits per year of people who type in search queries for "Jessica Simpson nude". I've created a few similar sites that paid off nice dividends for me. You have to have SOME content that people are looking for, but just advertise your movie site perhaps 4 times on the page.

Thanks Blade Jones, so you're saying I should create a simple page with some external links to my films? That does sound like an interesting idea - I tried out Milk and Cookies and it got me a little exposure, but I don't think it's best suited to the film I was putting out there. It appears to be oriented more around television adverts of an accessible level.

Sorry to have to ask so much about this, but how would I go about creating one of these launchpad sites you speak of? Is there a fast and easy (and hopefully cheap) technique to do so? Thanks!

I use Lunar Pages to host my sites for about $110 a year. There's also free sites like http://www.webs.com/ but I have serious doubts as to whether these free sites rank very highly with Google and Yahoo. It has become more and more difficult to get your pages highly ranked. "Search engine optimization" is a whole study, and there's nothing easy about it. Is it fast? Actually one of the things that Google and Yahoo favor is sites that have been around for a long time.

One of the best ways to get hits is to be the "early bird" when some scandal hits the news -- example Tiger Woods mistresses go public. Years ago I was getting 10,000 hits a day because I had a bogus site claiming to have Lady Diana crash photos. You get the idea.

Back