On The Go Data Storage

WDs Passport drives are rapidly becoming the ideal device. For last year's shoot, I invested in a 750 Gig USB 3 / 2 version.

For the same price this year, they have 3 TB versions.

They are the size of smart phones and don't need extra power cords.

They are in stock and on shelves in office supply stores

What are you guys using?

WDs Passport drives are rapidly becoming the ideal device. For last year's shoot, I invested in a 750 Gig USB 3 / 2 version.

For the same price this year, they have 3 TB versions.

They are the size of smart phones and don't need extra power cords.

They are in stock and on shelves in office supply stores

What are you guys using?

Will probably buy one soon. I use LaCie because of reliability and it says 'Porsche Design' on the front...

I think the industry standard is G-Drive. 50% more expensive than WD but more reliable. (I had a passport : first time it fell it stopped working).

If anyone else works with a crew, the DP and I constantly remind each other to be careful and "Don't drop the drive" we would expect that possibility.

Under normal use, the drive does its job.

I am use to handling DVDS and CDS for my day job, which are more fragile. Also, dropping $500 multi test meters off the back of mainframe machines are not intentional, but does happen. And, the meters get damaged beyond repair.

I generally have to replace audio or camera equipment from parts that turn up missing or broke. So, I expect some stuff will need replacing after a shoot.

You can get a RAID drive pretty cheap these days. Just saw a 2TB one for about $200, I think it was, at Fry's the other day.

If you're gonna store on a hard drive, you're gonna need a second drive to back up that first one anyway. So yeah, you can get a 500GB Passport for another $70, as cheap insurance, in case that first one dies on ya. Which always sucks hard, when it does.

You can get a RAID drive pretty cheap these days. Just saw a 2TB one for about $200, I think it was, at Fry's the other day.

If you're gonna store on a hard drive, you're gonna need a second drive to back up that first one anyway. So yeah, you can get a 500GB Passport for another $70, as cheap insurance, in case that first one dies on ya. Which always sucks hard, when it does.

That is the idea. We first transfer the footage from the camera to a laptop and then to a passport. From a passport I copy the footage to the external FireWire hard drives of two other computers. (That's two more hard drives and copies.)

Thus far, I've been editing with my Sony Vaio Dual Core 2 laptop. I recently had a custom desktop built for editing. The new computer like a rocket running Windows 8 with 8 Gigs and a 2TB SATA drive. Almost as fast as it gets turned on, it is in Windows 8 and ready to use. There is no wait time for loading. It has hardware enhancements like a dedicated 2 Gig G-Force HD video card with a HDMI output USB 2 / 3 and Firewire 2. I got a great price at a Mom and Pop computer store. I expect to add a Blu-Ray burner next month. They are becoming very affordable these days.

Last edited:
With a graphics card like that you should be using a different kind of cable, not HDMI. DVI is your best bet because it's Blu-Ray compatible and will give you a crisper image than the HDMI format (partly because HDMI has to transport sound too!).
It's what I've read anyway.

Edit: New research just now - More recent iterations of these cables and protocols are equivalent in quality. It depends if both your graphics card and monitor are compatible with HDMI 1.4 or not. If not then a DVI -is- better. I also believe DVI can do higher refresh rates at equivalent definitions.

Last edited:
It came with USB digital audio speakers that are clearer than any analogue audio speakers I've heard. I have one USB 2 hub. I hope to get a USB 3 hub soon as well for the Blu-Ray burner so I can add external drives as well.

I am hoping to invest in editing software that works with both HD and RED. Are there any other formats to consider?

Last edited:
Looks like hard work paid off with my day job. We will be getting a new contract. Stay tuned for details. Before I invest in a Blu-Ray burner, however, I will invest in a new pair of shoes. The souls are falling off my one pair.

Financially, I've been in bad shape for too long.

Financially, I've been in bad shape for too long.

Yeah, you need to fix that up before getting back into funding film, dude.

Imo, you should complete that 1 year break you started, and sock away every darn penny you make. You need a cushion to fall back on, if times turn bad again. Spend that year writing, re-writing, and plotting - but you need to get some beanies into the bank, buck-o. :cool:

All spoken with love, porkchop. :cool:

Yeah, you need to fix that up before getting back into funding film, dude.

Imo, you should complete that 1 year break you started, and sock away every darn penny you make. You need a cushion to fall back on, if times turn bad again. Spend that year writing, re-writing, and plotting - but you need to get some beanies into the bank, buck-o. :cool:

All spoken with love, porkchop. :cool:

I realize that Steve. And, I appreciate it. Some of the best human beings in the world are on this board.

If I can find another worthwhile festival to enter my last production, I may enter it there to give it more exposure. It may be far from studio standards. But, considering the problems I was up against to make what I have. It is the best I could have done with it.

Back