on set creature

I'm looking into having a creature in my next fan film (the Licker from RESIDENT EVIL 2) but with my budget (of about ZERO) making a full costume is out of the question. Anyone have any tips or advice on how I can bring this creature (or at least most of it) to the set?

If it's meant to be suspenseful I say don't show the creature at all. The audience's imagination will be far better than anything you can do, especially with zero budget.

When you need to show some violence, have it be off screen. Use sounds, shadows and silhouettes to sell it, that way the costume doesn't have to be great, just the general shape of the creature.

I agree with Dready, maybe little glimpses of things like a tongue poking through the dark, lots of dripping sounds lol, you can probably make a claw or hand similar to the licker. I think your screens sides and corners should be used when showing teh creature that way you never have to show too much.

I assume you've gone off your stop-motion idea? Probably for the best...

Personally, I'd make a crappy costume. Use paper-mache and poster paint, it won't cost much at all. Then just shoot the thing in the darkness, in silhouette. Show glimpses of it in the muzzle-flash of gunshots. Never show it in plain sight, it'll look like it's made of paper-mache! Shoot it cleverly and it'll work just fine.

I've used Spray-Foam insulation to fabricate masks and creature parts before.

20100511_GreatStuff.jpg

The stuff poorly adheres to plastic garbage bags, so use that as a form break.
You can cut and carve shapes from it okay, and even add more later when it hardens.
I wouldn't spray it on anyone's skin, though.
The sh!t'll stick there for a day or two of sincere scrubbing and picking. And you can forget picking it off of clothes.

Spray paint does a pretty good job of adhering to it, as well.

Also, keep in mind WalMart, Target and Party City are going to be looking to unload all their Halloween stuff in exactly three weeks, so be looking for creature parts bargains then.

GL.

I assume you've gone off your stop-motion idea? Probably for the best...

Personally, I'd make a crappy costume. Use paper-mache and poster paint, it won't cost much at all. Then just shoot the thing in the darkness, in silhouette. Show glimpses of it in the muzzle-flash of gunshots. Never show it in plain sight, it'll look like it's made of paper-mache! Shoot it cleverly and it'll work just fine.

Well, for right now I'm keeping my options open. I plan to use a mix of EVIL DEAD esc POV shots, and maybe a couple of stop motion shots (though they would only last a few seconds-if that) and alot of what you suggested. The hard part though will be in making the mask.

Ive gone to horror conventions where there was a person actually several that use his old couch to make an award winning costume...id say see if there is a horror community in your area and see if there are any makeup creature effects artists around. I think they would be more than willing to lend a hand.

here is one of the costumes
http://www.horrorfindweekend.com/state/maryland/show2005/photos/596.jpg
http://www.horrorfindweekend.com/state/maryland/show2005/photos/602.jpg
http://www.horrorfindweekend.com/state/maryland/show2005/photos/592.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! one that could bit you in yer aris!...from what i remember it took like 6-12 months to make..alot of foam from his couch...lots of patience, time cutting the foam, and looks like that there is spray paint as a base...i think...anyways wastsent totaly cheap but the results were awsome...the next year he had moving parts in the head on a new creation..so this guy went waay out there...but it can give some ideas on what you can do with foam, spray foam, glue, wire, spray paint and your couch!

I wouldn't spray it on anyone's skin, though. The sh!t'll stick there for a day or two of sincere scrubbing and picking.

YEP! Learned that particular lesson the hard way. I was using Great Stuff to create patches of snow on a set for a stage play -- would spray some out then use my bare hand to spread it around. BIG EFFING MISTAKE. It took at least a week for it to finally wear off my hands, with much effort. Super Glue is far easier to get off your skin than that shit.

Ray speaks the truth. Use spray foam with great caution!

If you can't make the full costume then just make part of it- you can get a lot done with just a head and an arm.

I remember watching about how they made the creatures on Resident Evil, and the texture for the Lickers' skin was made out of bacon and pork. So, if you want to cover yourself in bacon and pork..

I was using Great Stuff... would spray some out then use my bare hand to spread it around. BIG EFFING MISTAKE. It took at least a week for it to finally wear off my hands, with much effort. Super Glue is far easier to get off your skin than that shit.
LMAO! :lol:
Yep. Yep. Yep.

I have a occupation that is very hands-oriented and had to pick like a madman to get that cr@p off before going to work the next day. I did a pretty good job of exfoliating all that rough part at my finger joints. :yes:
I've a nice work jacket where that stuff has been embedded going on six years now from my first experience with it.

Soap and hot water don't work.
Comet doesn't work (just makes it smooooother. %$#@!)
Nail polish remover don't work.
Paint thinner don't work.
Mineral spirits don't work.

Just get some latex/vinyl gloves before working with it.
Frankly it's just like working with fire or a chainsaw or ANFO: you just gotta be careful, thoughtful even.

Last edited:
If you can't make the full costume then just make part of it- you can get a lot done with just a head and an arm.

I remember watching about how they made the creatures on Resident Evil, and the texture for the Lickers' skin was made out of bacon and pork. So, if you want to cover yourself in bacon and pork..

Maybe thats where Lady Gaga got her idea....

Best tip I can give you, search youtube for clips from the show Supernatural: A lot of their kills are done in the way of not showing it explicitly but showing a wall or some kind of surface right before the victim is attacked and just spraying blood on the surface, with some sound effects it looks awesome.

If I felt more comfortable in the quality of my mask and latex stuff, I'd offer to help out (but I'm not happy enough with my quality yet :) )

I like the idea, as someone mentioned, of having the monster not seen/or limited being seen if possible. Sound, camera, and "little bits" seen can go a long way!

Also looking at the thread, some really good ideas here!

Back