Omni vs Uni

I stumbled upon a Tascam DR 100 and I'm going to use it tomorrow for a shoot. We're all pretty green but fortunately I'm the one everyone turns to when anything technical comes up.

We're shooting a sketch and I'm assuming that UNI is the best option to use vs. OMNI? We don't have an XLR. Also the default recording settings on the Tascam are: WAV 16bit should i opt for 24 bit? or change the format? w/ a sample of 44.1k

There are two actors and shouldn't really be any background noise involved at all...

The SD card is 2 gigs. I think these default settings are legit...

Any tips / general knowledge I should know about using the TASCAM DR 100?
i.e. how close I should have it near the actors?

Thanks!

You should really be using a separate mic on a boom-pole.

You want to use 24bit (it gives you more headroom) and 48kHz (DVD standard).

The polar pattern will depend upon the placement of the DR-100; although I am strongly against using the DR-100 by itself the odds are that you should use the omni pattern.

Be warned that you are going to run into some serious issues in audio post. Dialog should be MONO, and when you sum the two channels you have a very high probability of phase cancellation or combing problems.

Last edited:
TASCAM DR-100 Con't

OK so w/ the boom mic does anyone have any recommendations that would go well w/ (that is hopefully inexpensive as I'm relatively green and not rolling in dough)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/599285-REG/Tascam_DR_100_DR_100_Professional_Portable_Digital.html

As it stands we're just using the built in mic itself and play around w/ the input levels before recording.

Also if anyone has any insights on how best to position or what settings are best used for recording w/ the DR-100 PLEASE feel free to lecture! Right now we have to record on level 6 w/ the input level on H (High) which is about as close as we can get before we get any background noise. But I think that it shouldn't have to go up so high if we're just recording the talent in a closed environment with the Tascam relatively close to the talent.

The last recording we did we used the UNI setting since the sketch just uses a Voice Over for audio, and it seemed to create the least amount of background noise. Most of our scenes are dialogue driven. Did UNI just work well in our last sketch since it was one actor recording separately? And in the future I should use OMNI for actual dialogue between characters?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Also if anyone has any insights on how best to position or what settings are best used for recording w/ the DR-100 PLEASE feel free to lecture! Right now we have to record on level 6 w/ the input level on H (High) which is about as close as we can get before we get any background noise. But I think that it shouldn't have to go up so high if we're just recording the talent in a closed environment with the Tascam relatively close to the talent.

1. Beyond what Alcove has said regarding 24bit and 48kHz, there are NO best settings for the mic-pre gain level. The best setting on one occasion will likely not be the best setting on another, even if everything appears to be the same or similar. Variables which affect the gain setting are: Distance of mic from the sound source (actor's mouth), frequency content of the sound source (the tonal quality of the actor's voice), volume of the sound source (how loud the actor's voice is), mic type and polar pattern and acoustics of the recording environment . Even relatively small changes in just one of these variables can have significant effect on the mic-pre gain setting required. In other words, the question you have asked is pointless because any answer you receive cannot take into account all the variables listed above.

2. Recording for example outside, you have the problem of background noises to deal with; wind, traffic, animals/people, etc. Recording inside obviously gets rid of many of these problems but introduces new ones, for example the problem of sound reflections from all the hard surfaces (walls, ceilings and floor). Even without the potential problem of interior environmental noise, from the talent or crew, creaky floors, air con or other electrical equipment/appliances (lighting for example), the problem of sound reflections is always a difficulty and consideration at every level of filmmaking. So when you say you are recording in a "closed environment", which may get rid of some/most of the noise problems experienced in an open environment, it introduces a whole new set of problems!

The last recording we did we used the UNI setting since the sketch just uses a Voice Over for audio, and it seemed to create the least amount of background noise. Most of our scenes are dialogue driven. Did UNI just work well in our last sketch since it was one actor recording separately? And in the future I should use OMNI for actual dialogue between characters?

Uni and Omni are polar patterns, effectively the direction from which the mic is most sensitive to sound waves. Uni is actually a group of different polar patterns but as the name implies, means the mic will be more sensitive to sound from in front of the mic. Omni means the mic will be equally sensitive to sound arriving at the mic from any direction. A uni setting will therefore pick up more of the actor's voice when pointed at the actor and less of the room reflections and other noises. However, a uni setting is obviously going to be a problem if you have two actors because you have sound coming from two different directions. This is why the job of boom operator exists, to change the mic position every time an actor moves or a different actor speaks. As you can't do that, you are going to have to set your DR100 to Omni but that means you are going to pick up far more room reflections and any other unwanted noises in the room. For a school project you might get away with this but you will not be able to achieve a recording quality which gets anywhere even vaguely close to professional standards.

Alcove can give you far more well informed advice on the best boom mic for your budget than I can but you are obviously going to have to give him some idea of what your budget is.

G

BOOM!

Thanks for all the info, it was really helpful as we were messing around w/ the settings we had a vague understanding of what was going on but you broke it down into specifics which is awesome!

As far as our budget goes I'd probably be okay w/ dropping around $300 I could spend more as in my mind a decent boom runs around $600. Preferably the 300 would include the kit, which may be a bit unrealistic? I'm not sure. I appreciate all of your input!

Yes, $300 for a kit is unrealistic. B&H has the Audio Technica AT875 shotgun mic kit for a little under $600.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/551607-REG/Audio_Technica_AT_875_Shotgun_Microphone.html

Yeah, it's the accessories that kill you, but the accessories can last for many, many years as will the mic. Remember, this is an INVESTMENT, not an inconvenience.

As I mention so often, just getting the gear will not fix the problem; you must acquire the skills or work with someone who has those skills. That's why I recommend hiring a pro or, at the least, working with an ambitious, knowledgeable up-and-comer. Just handing the boom-pole to whichever PA or extra isn't busy is not going to yield good sound.

Audio is the most overlooked and least understood aspect of indie filmmaking. This is especially true as most indie types are visually oriented, and they can't see sound; so they ignore it - until the get to post, when it is much too late. And fixing things in audio post require more knowledge and more gear/software that they do not have.

Your film will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience."

Thanks!

I'll probably end up going w/ that boom kit.

I'm really interested in learning enough about sound so that I could be self-reliant. I understand that I'll be limited in terms of audio quality by not having a professional or even an amateur who'd be much more knowledgeable on the subject. And my reasoning for wanting to be self-reliant is b/c I'm thinking of moving in the near future.

Any quick tips for recording audio? Or good (simple) reads that'd further my education?

Get "The Production Sound Bible" by Ric Viers.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Location-Sound-Bible-Professional/dp/1615931201

Again, the issue is not how well you know sound, but the skill set of whomever you designate to record/boom on your production. You may be a frigging audio genius, but your job is to direct the entire project, not spend all of your time worrying about the audio.

And that's the issue. Your job is to tell a story; it's the job of the PSM/Boom-op to capture solid production sound.

Back