Old Sennheiser K3U/ME80 worth $100?

Finally getting rid of my old amateur mics and getting my first balanced mic. My budget limits me to the AT875, 897; Sennheiser K6/ME66; or, if I really stretch it, the Rode NTG-3.

During my online travels, I ran across an old Senn K3U/ME80 combo. I almost pulled the trigger - but thought I'd ask the audio experts here before I push the cart through.

Thanks in advance for your help - and happy and prosperous New Year to all!

Bill

I don't know much about the ME80 except that they haven't been made in quite a while (they stopped making it in 1993, so it could be a lot older). The issue, as always, is the condition of any used item and that you can return it if there are problems. Make sure that it is an XLR connector version. I seem to vaguely remember that there was a version that could use a battery? If so make sure that the battery never leaked. No matter what, it probably needs a good servicing/cleaning.

Thanks for the great advice, AA. The mic is being sold by a store with a 30 day return policy, so I can buy it and send it back if there was a leak in the battery compartment or there is any other problem.

In the meantime, I saw an old AT835 on sale privately for $75 and jumped on it - no returns, but at that price, I don't mind.

Thanks again and happy and prosperous New Year,

Bill

Bill, I own an ME80 with K3U capsule I inherited from a friend. The system is probably 1970's vintage, but still sounds great! In fact, I used it to record all the production tracks for my most recent feature. It is basically the old version of the ME66.

In addition to what Alcove has said, you should also check on what type of battery the K3U capsule uses. The newer models take a AA, but older ones like mine use a special battery that is very difficult to find (the original battery contained mercury and has been outlawed, but Radio Shack makes a mercury-free version for around $10). I have only ever used mine with phantom power, so have never bothered to track down a battery for it, but if you don't have that option you may want to find a capsule that uses the AA.

Quality mics are always a solid investment. As long as they are properly maintained they can last for a very, very long time. The old mics used in Hollywood during the 30's and 40's are still highly prized, and pre-WWII German (Neumann, Telefunken, etc.) mics are also highly sought out, although they usually have to be cleaned of excessive cigarette smoke. I have a Shure SM-58 that is about 35 years old, and my TLM-103 and 414BUL/S are both well over 20 years old. I'm not really sure, but I think that my ATM-41 is over 25 years old. They all still sound awesome.

Once again, always double and triple check used items and, if not too expensive, have it checked out by someone who knows what they're doing.

Thanks again AA and 2001. If I do end up spending $175 on these classic mics, and either or both turn out to be in good working order, I will be far better off than if I had spent $229 on an unbalanced camera mounted mic with a mini jack :)

Cheers,

Bill

If I do end up spending $175 on these classic mics, and either or both turn out to be in good working order, I will be far better off than if I had spent $229 on an unbalanced camera mounted mic with a mini jack

True that!

BTW, I also own an AT835b (bought new). Also had good results with it on many shoots over the years. :cool:

You guys are going to kill me, but I'm running my $75 AT835 directly into my GH2 with a $15 Hosa Low Z to High Z transformer and a $5 Hosa GPM-467 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter. The windscreen is a $55 Olsen Mic Muff MM-21. It works wonderfully for my application (standups right in front of the camera for my vlog). When I finally unbox my GH3, I won't need the GPM-467 any more. A lot less expensive than Panasonic's $349 OEM solution :)

P1010660.JPG

Last edited:
Back