oktava mk-102 prob

Hey everyone! :D

I've bumped into a little problem concerning my mic oktava mk-102 (hypercardiod). The thing is, whenever I record (for example in the living room) I gets a bit echoey. Whats the deal?

I thought condenser mics were meant for indoor use? Am I doing somethin wrong? Cable maybe?

Thanks in advance! :)

A hypercardioid does not eliminate the problem; it would be worse with a shotgun. On a scale of one to ten a shotgun would be an six to a ten, a hypercardioid will be a three to an eight depending upon the skill with which it is used and if other steps are taken to mitigate "roominess." And that's the point; just getting a piece of gear - a mic in this case - does not mean that your problem is solved. You still need to acquire the skills to be proficient at any craft.

Was the mic on a boom-pole or was it mounted on the camera? Are you 100% sure that whomever was booming was aiming at the breastbone of the talent? Was the mic always as close in as the framing would allow? Did you go through all of the other steps required to eliminate roominess in the sound like hanging sound blankets and putting down carpeting?

Another thing to keep in mind is the psycho-acoustical side of things. A recording of a sound with a microphone is an artificial construct, a mic does not "hear" the way that your ears hear, and the playback is the same. Every "problem" with a sound is exacerbated by the recording process.

Post a sample of the audio and a picture of the room in which it was recorded, let's see what the problem really is.

Back