• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Oh The Irony-48 Hour Short Film

Sorry to double-post this, but I didn't receive any feedback on my original post with this video... here's my first-ever 48 hour film. The prompt was "Horrible Breakup Movie". Let me say, after going through it, I had a lot more sympathy for last year's films that I thought were mediocre. Any criticisms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVJzvrzUxFc

Good work guys!
I think the lighting is the weakest point but it's not a hard thing to master, but 48 hour videos are great practice I think.

Definitely, definitely, definitely I need to practice lighting. And color-correction too, the scene at 3:31 where it suddenly gets all stylized for a minute really bugs me. And thank you!

Hey there! I just finished a 48 Hour challenge in Dallas last weekend. Even as the film's composer, I found it to be grueling and demanding - but totally worth every moment.

So, first, congrats on finishing!

I'm not going to comment on the production quality -- but more on the story. I liked it! It was very clever overall.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more dramatic reveal of the 'friend' when he comes to pick up the girl... It seemed like he came out of the closet -- Maybe a knock on the door - then we see the door opened, revealing the friend with some flowers or something.

I also feel like the timing could have been quicker between cuts overall - especially in your montage. You've got it set up well, but you had time to throw in a few more gags -- cause I (and most of your audience) can absolutely relate to trying to get friend time with someone whose girlfriend is glued to their hip.. It's a funny situation -- expand on it.

I'm not entirely sure that the last line "It's Irony!" is needed. When you explain the joke, it's no longer funny (to me)... If you ended on "There's a word for that!", most of the (intelligent) audience would get the joke...

I know it complicates things -- but if you had a score of some sort, it would add a LOT. I think the songs work well for the montage, but a light comedic score under the 'study' scenes would really push this film forward into the comedy genre. As is, we're kinda waffling back and forth between guessing if this is comedy vs drama-ish.

As with any shotgun super-fast productions, I think we're always left with the idea of wishing we had been able to do more. In your next project, go ahead and be a little more ambitious.

For me, knowing how difficult these things are, I absolutely love what you've done considering the circumstances. Congrats again - and keep it up!

Thank you so much for that thorough criticism! I know what you mean about the last line-I often find that once a show explains why something is funny it immediately stops being funny. Not sure why I kept the line, but it might have been because I wanted to show Alex's exasperation at getting Josh to try and understand irony, but I definitely understand where you're coming from. I'll definitely take everything you said into account next time, and might even re-cut it for upload onto my own channel...

EDIT: Awwwwwww crap I'm mad at myself... I deleted a lot of files and events from FCP that the movie used so I might not be able to do that. Whoops.

Last edited:
Back