O no, not another Avid or FCP question, and the winner is Avid;).

OK, so I have been thinking about this and have come to a decision, but would like to run it past you to check I haven’t missed anything. I have decided to go with Avid (I have used both Avid and FCP a while ago and liked both). The reason for my decision is that with Avid I can work on projects or any length, complexity with any amount of footage without messing about.

In terms of cost it’s a bit of a non issue. When you add £1000 for the difference between a PC and a mac there really is not much in it. Also I already have a 4 core PC so the difference is even less.

In terms of getting work I am less sure. For freelance it should not matter, no one should have a problem with me using Avid if I am ‘working from home’ and if necessary I can go the laptop route. But I am wondering if when I start out and am building a reputasion if I am going to come a lot of places that have FCP in house and want me to use it.

As a side not I also use (and love) Vegas and I can run Avid/Vegas on PC. A part of me feels that although I feel I need to go the FCP or Avid route professionally Vegas is still going to be very useful.

Regards,
Ben

Back