• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Notes of Life-Award Winning Short Film

There's a shot early on (one of the first outside shots) that looks like there was some sort of problem with automatic image stabilization, but other than that your shots seemed... clean? I'm sure that's the term.

In terms of the way the shots are composed I don't really agree with, but I'm just the kind of person that gets annoyed at narrative films that try and give a story from a singular perspective and then just throws in shots that have been shot from angles just because they seem nice at the time. It's something I don't LIKE to have a go at people for doing because I'm never sure if it's my opinion or something that people agree on. The lack of a consistent perspective makes the audience, at least me, feel very disconnected from the character - keeping it from their perspective gives the audience themselves their perspective, and connects them a hell of a lot better.

The quality of the shots varied massively, in terms of visual quality (and not composition), which I think is probably due to a big difference in lighting. Consistency is the number one thing to me when it comes to thinking how it should be made - a consistent perspective, style, lighting setup, sound, etcetera.

The audio was consitent for the most part, and that really keeps the film afloat. I'm not entirely sure why you chose to do the first ~4 minutes with just the background music and then switched to just background noise, and the transition seems really jarring (?). Same with when you then switched back the background music and accidentally fooled me into thinking he was somehow making the sound of a drum stick with his acoustic guitar in what could only be called the worst audio synchronisation I've ever seen, but thank the lord that didn't happen ;)

And that's what I got from the first 6 minutes of the film - I didn't watch the rest, because (as Kinglis said) it just really doesn't keep your interest. No dialogue whatsoever is pretty weird for a narrative video, I'm just saying.

Hint: Tarantino uses conversations about tipping and Bic Macs to keep people interested. Try that out. ;)

Back