Noob Tripod Shopping

Hi,

this may sound like a reallllllllllllllly novice question but I have to ask.

Tripod shopping may sound easy, but I've realized it's the hardest thing I've shopped for on my Short Film List. I have everything I need except for a decent tripod.

My budget is $100 and the problem is that a tripod can range from like $10 to $2000 dollars!! Like what's the damn difference? Maybe I could tell if I saw them in real life, but I'm currently looking in the B and H catalog and all it says is the Tripods name and sometimes a picture.

Really, I want a tripod for under $100 and it needs to be smooth for panning and such, have a removable (screw on) head that is fluid head, and prefferably light.

Note: I will be using a DSLR camera, the T3i

Please help me, thanks

(I've been considering the Manfrotto, but a bit pricey)

Really, I want a tripod for under $100 and it needs to be smooth for panning and such, have a removable (screw on) head that is fluid head, and prefferably light.

Don't we all!

A sub-$100 tripod will probably be light, but that's about it - you won't be getting a removable head, never mind a decent fluid one.

Hey USN,

I wanted to reach out and give you some info since I was in the same situation a few months ago.

When I first purchased my t2i I purchased a super cheap tripod (30 bucks) online. I basically wanted something I could just use for steady, static shots. Wasn't worried about movement or panning so much at the time. The tripod worked for what I originally wanted but as soon as I wanted to do some panning shots, it was game over. It was terrible.

A couple months later I purchased an indislider mini which is a tripod mounted dolly unit.

The cheap tripod I had couldn't even support the weight of the indislider. When the camera was on one end of the slider, it would lean to that side and when I would slide the camera to the other side it would lean to that side. It was terrible.

SO, I figured I was going to have to drop some loot and pick up another tripod.

But before I did, I remember seeing some tripods at a local thrift/vintage shop. I took a walk over to the store and they had one made out of some kind of metal. Aluminum I believe. It's really light but sturdy as hell! Super sturdy. I bought it for 25 bucks!

I brought that sucker home and attached the indislider and that thing doesn't lean one bit. The panning is ultra smooth too.

The only problem is that there wasn't a head on it. It was just a screw thingy (don't know the correct name). But I plan on buying a nice head at B&H for like 40 bucks. After I do that, it would only be a 65 dollar investment which isn't bad at all.

So, my point is, if you have thrift stores or antique stores, check out those before dropping some major loot. You'll be surprised what you might find.

And if you'd like, I can stop by a couple here in NYC and see what I find. I could take some pictures and test them out for you and if you like it, I could purchase and ship it to you and let you know how much it was. Could save you some cash!

Anyways, just thought I'd help out a fellow filmmaker. Let me know. I can stop by the stores this weekend.

Best,

Opus

Don't we all!

A sub-$100 tripod will probably be light, but that's about it - you won't be getting a removable head, never mind a decent fluid one.

I picked up a nice tripod at at pawn shop for 20 bucks, nice smooth fluid head. Granted it isn't removable. And I will also grant that the head is "slightly' (and I do mean slightly) off level, but that's adjusted by adjusting the legs.

It's an Ising-Primus tripod-metal, solid, and for 20 bucks you can't go wrong for that price-all depends what you want to spend.

I will also note that is nice to see you THINKING about the tripod, not everyone does that, so you're ahead of the game!

Last edited:
Hey USN,

I wanted to reach out and give you some info since I was in the same situation a few months ago.

When I first purchased my t2i I purchased a super cheap tripod (30 bucks) online. I basically wanted something I could just use for steady, static shots. Wasn't worried about movement or panning so much at the time. The tripod worked for what I originally wanted but as soon as I wanted to do some panning shots, it was game over. It was terrible.

A couple months later I purchased an indislider mini which is a tripod mounted dolly unit.

The cheap tripod I had couldn't even support the weight of the indislider. When the camera was on one end of the slider, it would lean to that side and when I would slide the camera to the other side it would lean to that side. It was terrible.

SO, I figured I was going to have to drop some loot and pick up another tripod.

But before I did, I remember seeing some tripods at a local thrift/vintage shop. I took a walk over to the store and they had one made out of some kind of metal. Aluminum I believe. It's really light but sturdy as hell! Super sturdy. I bought it for 25 bucks!

I brought that sucker home and attached the indislider and that thing doesn't lean one bit. The panning is ultra smooth too.

The only problem is that there wasn't a head on it. It was just a screw thingy (don't know the correct name). But I plan on buying a nice head at B&H for like 40 bucks. After I do that, it would only be a 65 dollar investment which isn't bad at all.

So, my point is, if you have thrift stores or antique stores, check out those before dropping some major loot. You'll be surprised what you might find.

And if you'd like, I can stop by a couple here in NYC and see what I find. I could take some pictures and test them out for you and if you like it, I could purchase and ship it to you and let you know how much it was. Could save you some cash!

Anyways, just thought I'd help out a fellow filmmaker. Let me know. I can stop by the stores this weekend.

Best,

Opus

Damn dude, thanks for your response, I have a ton of thrift shops in my town I'll check them out this weekend I'm sure i'll find something. Also, do you mind telling me what indieslider you have? cause I'm looking for a good one of those at the moment too.

Thanks again

Back