• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Noir/Con Artist Short Film

I really liked the style/pacing you were going for with this. It reminded me of like an 'ocean's eleven' or something.

The split-screen shots were nice when you went on to use them as a transitional wipe, but otherwise I found them to be very disorienting, every time it happened I had to take a few seconds to figure out what I was looking at, which took me out of the narrative.
Did you use multiple camera's for these shots?

I'm not at all trying to be mean here, but I didn't care for your main actor. It felt like he was rushing his lines a lot. Trying to play 'the coolest guy in the room' and go on tarrentino style monologues, but unfortunately he wasn't pulling it off, IMO. Also, his lines themselves were very expository. This works for the style, but only when he's narrating. When he's actually tied up in the room, his lines should be more like realistic dialog, I think.

Did you use any lighting design for this? I'm asking because it seemed like most of the shots were really dark and hard to tell what was going on. And then in the interrogation room it was very orange, was all of this intentional?

Don't take this the wrong way, you asked for feedback, after all :) I think you're talented and you should keep this up, for sure!

First off thanks so much for taking the time to watch the video. I really appreciate it.

It's really refreshing to get honest feedback on the movie. Thanks for taking the time. I agree with most of everything you said. The problem with not being at school and just chilling at my house for the summer is that the only resources I have (and by resources I mean actors) are my friends. I expected that a major criticism for the movie would be the acting. My hope was that the film would be so fast-paced and information-heavy you wouldn't really have too much time to think about the acting. I wanted the entire focus to be on the narrative-the story. But you're right, everyone was a non-actor and it's noticeable.

I didn't use multiple camera's, just one with several takes. I tried the split-screen (box-cuts) t during editing and liked it but I do agree it might be disorienting at times.

I did not use external lights, just natural light. When you say 'most of the shots' were really dark, which shots do you mean in particular? This was my first real movie being shot on the 7D and I thought most shots were either normally exposed or just a tad overexposed. If you're referring to the interrogation scene with Liam, I purposely wanted his face to be underexposed to hide his identity. Oh and the 'orange' tint in the interrogation scene was intentional. I wanted to give a subtle visual hint as to who was holding the main character (the "a few months back" shots all contain a similar tint).

Thanks for the feedback though, as I said before it's nice hearing another perspective!

Back