• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

No render, Premiere

Hi

So, if I'm working with my DSLR footage in Final Cut Pro 7 I'll have to convert everything to Apple ProRes422 if I want to avoid rendering every time I've made a change in the timeline.

What lossless format would do the trick for me in Premiere CS5?

Regards
Bo

With Premiere you don't need to transcode your footage before editing. Just drop the .mov files of your camera directly onto to timeline and start editing.
When finished, render the Video out as h.264 or AVI-Lagarith or whatever your delivery format is. No need to render before that at all!

CS5 handles DSLR footage, just fine, in it's native format.

However, you better have a powerful computer. When I was running with dual-core 3GB processor, and 4GB RAM, my footage was very choppy, when watching in CS5. I could hear everything perfectly, and that's how I managed to keep pacing fine, but it was rather annoying not being able to see the footage as it should be.

Upgraded to 8GB RAM, and the footage is much more smooth (but still not perfect). I think 12GB would solve the problem, entirely.

Even though CS5 handles DSLR footage, I've contemplated purchasing and using neoscene, as I hear my software would be able to handle the transcoded footage much easier.

CS5 handles DSLR footage, just fine, in it's native format.

However, you better have a powerful computer. When I was running with dual-core 3GB processor, and 4GB RAM, my footage was very choppy, when watching in CS5. I could hear everything perfectly, and that's how I managed to keep pacing fine, but it was rather annoying not being able to see the footage as it should be.

Upgraded to 8GB RAM, and the footage is much more smooth (but still not perfect). I think 12GB would solve the problem, entirely.

Even though CS5 handles DSLR footage, I've contemplated purchasing and using neoscene, as I hear my software would be able to handle the transcoded footage much easier.

:lol: thats exactly my problem i only have 4gb of ram....but i have another 4gbs in the mail should be hear any day now

You can probably roll with it. Or, you might find that you want to transcode.

Do you have 64-bit Windows 7?

I probably should know this but...Whats tanscode?

Im pretty sure i have 64-bit windows just for the fact it came with (internet explored 64-bit) lol also what advantages would i have with useing 64-bit Ae and Pr?

lol also what advantages would i have with useing 64-bit Ae and Pr?

Truthfully? I have no clue! :lol: But more is always better! :D

There are some things you can't do, if you're in 32-bit. For example, I believe working with Colorista (which is awesome) requires 64-bit.

What is transcoding? Changing your footage to a completely different format of video, one which is easier for your software to handle (and better for manipulating, with color-grading, etc., without losing data, or something technical that I truthfully don't understand, but everyone else here swears by it, so I assume they're correct).

This is the transcoding software that all the cool kids are using. Though it is inexpensive, you should be aware that you'll need massive amounts of hard drive space. Again, you might not need it. Your computer, as is, might be able to handle the footage just fine. Though I'd definitely like to bump up to 12GB, or even 16GB, RAM, I'm fairly happy with what I've got now.

Truthfully? I have no clue! :lol: But more is always better! :D

There are some things you can't do, if you're in 32-bit. For example, I believe working with Colorista (which is awesome) requires 64-bit.

What is transcoding? Changing your footage to a completely different format of video, one which is easier for your software to handle (and better for manipulating, with color-grading, etc., without losing data, or something technical that I truthfully don't understand, but everyone else here swears by it, so I assume they're correct).

This is the transcoding software that all the cool kids are using. Though it is inexpensive, you should be aware that you'll need massive amounts of hard drive space. Again, you might not need it. Your computer, as is, might be able to handle the footage just fine. Though I'd definitely like to bump up to 12GB, or even 16GB, RAM, I'm fairly happy with what I've got now.

:lol:i didnt even relize untill know that i have 64-bit Ae im going to start using it!

as for transcoding I think im going to look into it. When im manipulating footage in premeire and after effects its always soo slow. I guess its either i need to transcode or get more ram...but ill do both:D

The difference between a 32 and 64-bit system is the allowance of (ram).

I believe there is a cap of 4gb of ram using a 32-bit system. If you put in 8gb of ram your computer will only be able to handle 4gb so it's really a waste of money using anything above 4gb.

A 64-bit system there is no ram cap. You can use as much as you want.

I believe all windows 7 operating systems are 64-bit? I THINK. someone else can chime in if I'm wrong.

CHiming in since you are wrong. But it is always 64bit if the computer can handle it (read:have the right type of CPU). But there is much more to the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit. 64-bit is better att allocating resorces and generally makes thing smoother(if they are compatable).

CHiming in since you are wrong. But it is always 64bit if the computer can handle it (read:have the right type of CPU). But there is much more to the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit. 64-bit is better att allocating resorces and generally makes thing smoother(if they are compatable).

If i started a project on 32-bit can i open it in 64-bit though?

Back