No Experience, but want to gain some

Hi, I'm in Tucson, Arizona, and I have no experience in film, but I would like to gain some. Unfortunetly, I'm always too afraid to try and find where I can help out to get experience...does anyone even want someone with no experience at all? What's the best way for a newbie in the business to get a job/volunteer to get expeirence. There's no particular job I want, I just want to get some experience.

...well, if you go the tv route (I know you said film) you can go to public access, that's what its called, to learn how to run a camera or do audio or a lot of other things. You will probably find that there are alot of frustrated filmmakers in tv (like me) and I learned initial camera there. And Tucson isn't so small, maybe you can find an internship at a production company.... It's a start...

--spinner

Doing public access is a great suggestion. Also, film is a close cousin of theatre, so you could also get started by volunteering at one of the local venues.. If you have other skills such as web site design, you could offer to help a production company with that, and then soak up other knowledge.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm a Theatre Education major at the University of Arizona, so I'm already heavily into theatre...I'd like to get into some film stuff, and I'm going to be taking some courses from my community college because my university only opens up the film classes to the Media Arts majors, due to lack of funding.

However, even though I get some background knowledge in the classes, I would like to couple that with some practical "in-the-field" knowledge. I was actually thinking of taking some classes at the public access station downtown. They offer some video production classes.

...that's what you want to do. Also, you have your theater courses and classmates who, I would be willing to bet, would LOVE to do some artsy indie film...you are in a very good position...

--spinner

Yeah, I know that I have an unlimited actor base to choose from. I know quite a bit of the actors on campus, but I just lack the filmmaking knowledge. Thanks for everyone's help :).

UprightCitizen said:
Yeah, I know that I have an unlimited actor base to choose from. I know quite a bit of the actors on campus, but I just lack the filmmaking knowledge. Thanks for everyone's help :).

...you gotta start somewhere....

--spinner :cool:

Might I suggest sending in a resume to any infomercial company in your area. There has to be at least one.

The reason I mention this is because that's how I initially made the transition from theatre to film. I learned my way around the equipment and set in an unstressful environment. Well, it did get stressful, but they were aware most of their PAs were lacking in experience so you were allowed to slip up a couple times.

Infomercials are boring, but hey, that's not important right now. Getting experience is.

Just be honest about your lack of experience and also mention your passion to learn about the industry and you will probably get a response from them.

The public access station I work with usually has people who need volunteers to help them produce their shows. Sometimes they'll accept complete novices who want to learn how to run cameras and production equipment.

Take the production course, then you can work with their editing and studio equipment. You'll also have the opportunity to network with others who want to create videos.

Bob

www.futuredv.blogspot.com

Back