• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Night Shot - Flicker and Film Grain Issues

My group and I have recently filmed a scene for an upcoming comedy series of ours and we've run into a problem. One of the scenes is a night shot and we had no lighting kits to speak of without making the room too bright, so we had to improvise with the lighting we could get by restraining certain curtains, blinds, etc in the evening in order to let a small amount of light in.

The original footage was so dark that you couldn't even make out some things, but I figured there must be a way in post production to fix it up a bit. I've done what I could with color correction and brightening up the footage just enough without enhancing the visibility of the film grain, but I've done about all I can do as far as those two techniques are concerned.

I use Adobe Premiere Elements 9. Is there anything else that can be done to make this image more visible, or at least eliminate some of the film grain? If the grain can't be eliminated, I suppose it will be fine seeing as how a couple people thought that the grainy look actually catered to the comedic scariness of the scene. There is also one bit where one of the characters says to the other, "I'm freakin' out, man!" where there is a strange flicker effect that seems to have manifested on its own during the color correction and brightness adjustments. I'm not sure where that came from or how it can be fixed.

The source footage is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0CubWQhd4Q

There is denoising software like NEAT and Magic bullet denoiser, but I don't know if it's available for Elements. It actually does a decent job and it may be worth finding someone who has it and negotiating a price for them to fix it for you. Remember, they don't have to be in town as you can send your footage on an SD card.

Best option is to reshoot it with some lights. Not what you want to hear probably, but I looked at the clip and it's pretty stinking noisy (unless that's YouTube compression and the real deal looks better).

Back