Next Step Above a DSLR

Hey guys, excuse me if this has been asked before, but I'm looking to get a slightly more professional camera.

I've heard on almost every thread about equipment that "what really matters is the person behind the camera, not the camera" but I'm still curious what the next best camera is to get after a DSLR.

I have a Canon T3i because everyone on the internet said it's a great camera, and it is, but I'm beginning to feel as if using a camera that's primarilly designed for photo make me look unprofessional.

I'm looking for another Canon product, somewhere in the $1000-$2,500 range, but I'm curious to hear what you think the next step up should be.

Any reply would be appreciated, thanks for the read. :)

The next step up within your boundaries is another DSLR.

You may need to check prices in your area though and see if the C100 (though a little dated) is within your financial range.

If you are happy to move outside the Canon range, there are other options, like Blackmagic cameras.

Blackmagic Cinema 4K is very nice. My first major short is being shot on it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...c_design_blackmagic_production_camera_4k.html

And I think a Pocket edition came out recently that's pretty cheap?

Personally I'd love to get the A7s currently, but not dare try to do any action shorts with it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044728-REG/sony_ilce7s_b_alpha_a7s_mirrorless_digital.html

but yea... C100 is bit above your price range... as was the Blackmagic (unless pocket)....

Really I'd recommend just renting equipment for your short. 3 days with a Red Epic is under 200$. For practice and whatnot, your DSLR will do fine.

Hey guys, excuse me if this has been asked before, but I'm looking to get a slightly more professional camera.

I've heard on almost every thread about equipment that "what really matters is the person behind the camera, not the camera" but I'm still curious what the next best camera is to get after a DSLR.

I have a Canon T3i because everyone on the internet said it's a great camera, and it is, but I'm beginning to feel as if using a camera that's primarilly designed for photo make me look unprofessional.

I'm looking for another Canon product, somewhere in the $1000-$2,500 range, but I'm curious to hear what you think the next step up should be.

Any reply would be appreciated, thanks for the read. :)

Panasonic GH4, Sony A7S, or the Blackmagic pocket mentioned! Or, there are some cheap deals on 5D bodies at that range.

Where exactly? Most prices i've seen are far far above that number.

That was my mistake entirely... I was thinking about the a7s being 140$. Red Epic at my favorite lensdepot.com (mainly because I live in pick-up/drop-off distance) is a little under 500$ for three days.

Which you should always start on Thursday with local rental houses because you'll get the weekend free and return Monday morning.

If you prefer to buy rather than rent, and you don't want another still/video hybrid camera, the least expensive Super 35mm camcorder in your price range is the 8-bit 1080/60p Sony NEX-FS100 for $2499. For another $63.49, you can buy an adapter that allows you to use your Canon EF lenses with this camera.

Even though this camera was released over 3 years ago, it is still a great next step up for DSLR shooters.

Here is what it can do:

Narrative

The Daffodil

Providence

Documentary

Portrait of a Boxer

Corporate

The Rhythm of Making a Knife

This camera has pro XLR inputs (shotgun mic is included), a headphone jack and great performance in low light. And, since it's a camcorder, you will no longer have to deal with your T3i's 12 minute continuous recording limit.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

The next step up within your boundaries is another DSLR.

You may need to check prices in your area though and see if the C100 (though a little dated) is within your financial range.

If you are happy to move outside the Canon range, there are other options, like Blackmagic cameras.

I think the C100 is fine for me- the "dated" aspect isn't a concern until 4k becomes the regular. But I think the blackmagic is also a good idea, but the C100 has the advantage of being compatable with my T3i lenses.

" Now we can shoot in pitch black—no need to use lights anymore, right? Not quite.
It is certainly true that better ISO performance opens up more creative options, but understanding light as a storytelling tool is one of the—if not the—biggest skills you need to master as a filmmaker. There is no replacement for a solid understanding of light and how to use it to affect your audience.
Light for story, not for what’s easiest.
All it takes is a quick browse through Vimeo Staff Picks from years ago and you’ll see a powerful story is still a powerful story. They are moving films not because of the gear, but because of the story and those who brought it to life.
The general public—non-filmmakers—will not care about or notice the gear a film was shot with. The only thing that matters is the story and how it makes them feel."

(stolen from: http://blog.storyandheart.com/blog/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer )

I think the C100 is fine for me- the "dated" aspect isn't a concern until 4k becomes the regular. But I think the blackmagic is also a good idea, but the C100 has the advantage of being compatable with my T3i lenses.
Black magic cameras (not the pocket version) have EF mount versions so you could use your Canon lenses on them.

At one poin, I considered getting a BM Pocket, but I wanted plenty of buttons to quickly access controls, and I hate touch screens, so I didn't. I don't know what your preferences are, but keep stuff like that in mind in addition to video specs.

Back