Next Lens?

Hey, this is my first post!

As the question says I need help choosing my next lens. I have a gh3 with the 12-35mm 2.8. So far this has been great for video and the occasional photo, but am looking for something a little longer, like the 35-100mm 2.8. This would be ideal for an upcoming wedding I might be photographing. I am also considering investing in some canon glass with a metabones adapter but unsure what lens I should get. This is the route I would like to take so that when I start shooting more short films, music vids, etc I'll be all set.

Thanks!

I have no experience with micro 4/3, but I'll venture a response.

Do you mean the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Lumix G Vario Zoom Lens?

Looks like the customer reviews of that lens on B&H are mostly very positive, with an overall score of 4.7 based on fifty reviews. Hefty price tag. But for good glass (like a zoom that's not frightfully slow), I guess that's par for the course. And if you're shooting weddings for pay, I imagine one wedding might pay for it?

A 70mm to 200mm equivalent for shooting events seems nice.

Again, no experience using a Canon lens on a gh camera. Hopefully one or more of the gh users here will speak up about which ones work well on the gh3. I haven't paid much attention to Canon EF-S lenses, but I'm guessing that's what you would want to use on a micro 4/3 camera? When it comes to Canon EF lenses, I'm under the impression that they're all decent-to-excellent, largely (or perhaps only somewhat) commensurate with price (thinking L glass versus non L glass, or maybe USM versus non USM etcetera), and you probably can't go wrong with any of them quality-wise, supposing anyone would want to put one on a gh camera.

Sorry I can't be more helpful (or helpful, at all).

I have the GH3 and the GH4 and I've shot with the 12-35. I recommend the Metabones/EF lens option for video, but not for stills due to slow autofocus speed.

If you're going to be paid for shooting stills at that wedding, the $969 35-100 is going to be your best bet.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your wedding shoot!

Bill

Since I probably won't be getting paid for the wedding, (its very low budget and they are my friends) I don't think the 35-100 is right for me then. Even though I do want it and have needed longer lenses on a few other occasions. So when I'm ready I'll Invest in some canon EF glass and a metabones adapter and get what I really want and what will help with my goals.

@ bruner, you mention autofocus with the metabones/Ef. I thought it completely removes autofocus?

And actually while we are on the subject of focusing. Manual focusing with the 12-35 and gh3 is a pain. So I would need to get a monitor with focus peaking right? As much as I want a gh4 I don't think I am ready yet, and while I am still learning might as well wait to see what else comes out in the future.

I did some research for you. That kind of lens is very expensive.

What is your price range?

As the question says I need help choosing my next lens. I have a gh3 with the 12-35mm 2.8. So far this has been great for video and the occasional photo, but am looking for something a little longer, like the 35-100mm 2.8. This would be ideal for an upcoming wedding I might be photographing. I am also considering investing in some canon glass with a metabones adapter but unsure what lens I should get. This is the route I would like to take so that when I start shooting more short films, music vids, etc I'll be all set.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Don't go with Canon!! They're the worst to adapt to m4/3 (or Sony E mount).

Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 would be lovely, but it is kinda pricey.

I'd suggest a vintage 135mm f/2.8 or 105mm f/2.8 or 100mm f/2.8 lens. For instance I have Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 in Nikon F mount which I picked up for just a hundred bucks.

Downside this is a prime lens, so when filming events you might not get much choice when where to put your tripod or you might need to recompose quickly.

So I'd suggest getting a RJ Lens Turbo, which not only doubles the amount of light hitting the sensor (yeah!!), but also gives you a second FoV with your lens. I purchased mine here:
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9086/rj-lens-turbo-m43-adapters/p1

And get Nikon 50mm f/1.8, which gives you another shorter focal length to use (but still longer than you have currently) and is even faster too. These can be found for about fifty ish bucks each.

Another option to look at getting too is a 80-200mm f/2.8 or similar vintage lens, this will be a bit more pricey. But can be found for only a few hundred dollars. And 200mm reach will go very far indeed on a GH3! :-D

I picked up my Sigma 70-200m f/2.8 (for Nikon F mount of course) for just NZ$99 (which is about US$75), but I got a crazy good bargain there! It is a very common lens I use at weddings with my various Panasonic m4/3 cameras, except for when I bring my 135mm f/2.8 instead (as it is waaaay lighter than my 70-200mm, and often I'd rather pack light).

A few seconds on KEH found a BGN grade Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 for just US$162:
https://www.keh.com/search/list?pmnt=Nikon+F&category[]=Zoom+Lenses%2C+Mfg&category[]=Zoom+Lenses%2C+Non-Mfg&fl[]=70-200mm&fl[]=70-210mm&fl[]=75-205mm&fl[]=75-210mm&fl[]=80-200mm&fl[]=85-205mm&fl[]=85-210mm&sort_by=priceMax-asc

Took a quick look at the reviews of this specific lens, and I'd say this Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 is a great choice for your dollar if you don't want to spend more for a Nikon 80-200mm f2.8

I think vintage glass is pretty cool, especially if you have a family member with old cameras they don't use anymore. Just twist that lens off the camera and use it on your GH3 with a cheap adapter. You can find some cheaper adapters on Amazon from $20-$40. Most old glass has manual aperture control so you won't run into much of an issue on that end.

For new lenses, I just purchased the Rokinon 16mm Cine prime lens. It's about a 32mm on a GH3, which I also own. I haven't used it much yet but I plan to give it a spin this weekend. It's micro 4/3 mount, but you could also buy it in a variety of other mounts including Canon EF.

Yeah it is best to buy Rokinon lenses in Nikon F mount:
http://ironfilm.co.nz/rokinon-cine-lenses/

I'm glad you like the Rokinon (I read your article) as it further validates my research in purchasing one (and soon, more of the same set). I can't wait to put it to use. For the GH3 purposes, it would be easier for the poster to buy the 4/3 mount as it would work with the GH3 without an adapter. Plus, it still has the manual aperture control (make sure you turn on the function "Shoot Without Lens" on your GH series camera).

I'd go with a 50mm at least. In my opinion a 35 mm lens would be forth on my list at least. First I would go with 24 and 50, and then 100 or more, and then a 35. Basically I feel that you will get more types of shots with the three others, before a 35mm.

I'd go with a 50mm at least. In my opinion a 35 mm lens would be forth on my list at least. First I would go with 24 and 50, and then 100 or more, and then a 35. Basically I feel that you will get more types of shots with the three others, before a 35mm.

The only problem with a 50mm on a crop factor camera is that it will be the equivalent of a 100mm, which could be more difficult in tight spaces. That being said, I loved shooting with the Canon 50mm 1.8 when I was still using the 60D as my primary camera.

Back