Newbie to lighting

I'm a complete noob to lighting. All I know about it is that it's the most important part of filmmaking after the sound! Has anyone got any tips especially for shooting indoors? Or any good links to doing lighting on a budget? The kind of lighting I'm interested in is not realistic or film noir but just bright and vibrant because I'm shooting a lighthearted family movie.

Stick with the basic 3-point lighting set up using whatever you can dig up around the house. Use the search function and/or google to find out what a 3 point light set up is. If this is the ONLY thing you do, you'll have a far better film than most of the shorts made these days.

We're not doing radio here, so the IMAGE is more important than the sound. But bad sound ruins quite a few films.

Good luck.

There are some excellent tutorials online where the show how moving the light affects the subject how turning the different lights in a 3 point setup off and on affect the subject, etc....

I'd start with some clamp lights and photo floods. That's what I did.

I'm definitely no lighting expert, but there is something to be said for simply playing around with stuff and seeing what works.

I just posted (the first part of) an interview with the guy who made "Spoiler", which is a really compelling, very professional-looking twist on the zombie genre. And he says for tight shots they actually used iPads and phones!

The interview is here if you want to read: AnywhereButHollywood-dot-com (can't seem to post links for some reason). You can also watch the movie there (and I recommend you do).

Last edited:
I've just been watching Die Another Day and now that I realise what 3-point lighting is I can spot it in almost every shot!! Now that I know it's there it's kind of makes the film look unrealistic because all the lighting is fake!

I suppose it's needed to make a 2D image look more 3D when our eyes don't have the other visual clues. I wonder if 3-point lighting is still necessary in 3D movies.

Die Another day must have some really bright lights because the highlights on one side of the face are almost white. Also some very powerful backlights as the top of the hair has a white outline.

If I wanted lights that powerful are there any that people would recommend? I want lights so bright they'll melt the actors faces!

To make realistic lighting, use the same techniques as in "Die another day..." then just dial it back and soften the light a bunch. Make sure the key light is "Motivated" -- as in comes from a logical source.

Paul - I use a combination of soft boxes and a Diva ring light - a lot less glare than umbrella reflectors. If I could afford it, I would use 3 ring lights, as in this tutorial/review. These things are awesome.
Here is a picture of the Diva with a T2i:
P1010203.JPG

With my Panasonic TM900 (in the background is a softbox and 4 socket CFL adapter on a floor lamp I already had):
P1090687.JPG

I also suggest a chromakey backdrop. At some point, you will probably want the option of adding visual effects.

I bought all of this stuff separately, which ended up costing more money than if I had bought it as a package, like this one.

Good luck with your movie. Hope to see clips and behind the scenes footage soon!

Bill

Last edited:
Back