Newbie Questions regarding beginner setup.

Hey Everybody!

So glad I found this forum, as it seems you guys are very helpful.

I just recently decided to start making short films again in the hope of building up to a feature length project and I have no idea where to proceed from here.

I've been doing research on cameras, and honestly, I get a bit lost. Computers are generally my second language, but cameras, lenses, microphones, steadicam type rigs are all foreign to me.

my main question is, what's a good beginner setup when working with a sub-$1000 budget. This is mostly for a camera, and a lens. I just need to start shooting.

I've seen many debates on the 60d, 7d, 5d, GH2, t2i and I feel like my best options are the 60d and the GH2.

The only thing is the GH2 requires an adapter for a lot of the lenses i've seen suggested, which adds quite a nice pricetag to my original number.

What would you guys suggest?

Also, sorry for asking whit I'd assume to be a common question, but it seems search functions on fourms haven't evolved with the times, and I was left with posts completely unrelated to my questions!

The issue with mics that use a battery to power their internal phantom power circuitry (the AT835, AT897, Rode NTG-2) is low volume output levels.

Although the AT835b has long since been discontinued it is a passable mic. Just be sure that you have an ironclad return guarantee and have it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing if you are not 100% sure it is in top working condition.

so what would be a good choice that wont break the bank and can be used as a boom? the Rode VM you suggested?

This is what u need:

20120607PickYourPackage.png
;)

PS, you might also start considering WHERE ur going to show ur film products once u've completed them - THEN - figure out what the standards are that they require and assemble your gear and marketing approach from there.

love it. and yeah, newbie 1200 for me. and considering the options, youtube and vimeo for now, with the possibility of entering some stuff into competitions and festivals in the future.

This is what u need:

20120607PickYourPackage.png
;)

PS, you might also start considering WHERE ur going to show ur film products once u've completed them - THEN - figure out what the standards are that they require and assemble your gear and marketing approach from there.

Ahh, but if only those were links...heh...

Though, as a point, a newbie kit at 1200 could also become the nucleus for a much, much better rig later on... after all, lights is lights, to some extent. Really well thought out, that "newbie 1200" could be a foundation for "Not screwing around"

Ahh, but if only those were links...heh...

Though, as a point, a newbie kit at 1200 could also become the nucleus for a much, much better rig later on... after all, lights is lights, to some extent. Really well thought out, that "newbie 1200" could be a foundation for "Not screwing around"

i find getting an answer for these kinds of questions are never met. people kind of dance around the subject, but never actually make suggestions (very rarely that is)

it's hard to figure out if the price/performance for the gh2 in regards to buying lenses and adapters is better than that of the 60d, even though the GH2's quality is sharper (no moire/aliasing)

i have a while to decide, but I like to weigh all options.

To get started, I'd suggest to go as cheap as you can. Stick with a t2i with the stock lens. Alternatively you could try a Hero3. The Hero3 isn't something that most here would recommend, but I suspect it could suit your style to learn with.

Alcove/Ape are the ones to listen to regarding audio gear. You can get a decent kit in the $1k range, give or take a couple hundred depending on where you live in the world. You don't need to start with audio gear, but I suspect you'll want to invest in one after you make your first short.

The most you can accomplish without classes, books, and crew experience is how to make a home video.
with all due respect, I'm not a fan of people telling me what I can or cannot accomplish.

You can really do whatever you want. There's nothing we can do to stop you. That's the simple truth of it.

I do applaud your attitude to just want to go out and shoot, shoot, shoot. There is nothing wrong with that so long a you don't expect to be Spielberg overnight. Courses and books cannot teach you anything you can't learn on your own, they do however shorten your learning curve and perhaps keep you from making costly mistakes.

I've been doing research on cameras, and honestly, I get a bit lost. Computers are generally my second language, but cameras, lenses, microphones, steadicam type rigs are all foreign to me.

my main question is, what's a good beginner setup when working with a sub-$1000 budget. This is mostly for a camera, and a lens. I just need to start shooting.

I've seen many debates on the 60d, 7d, 5d, GH2, t2i and I feel like my best options are the 60d and the GH2.
I haven't used the GH2, but I've used all the others. The 60D is indeed decent for shooting video, and the articulating LCD makes it especially useful for different angle shots. The biggest thing to realize is that the 5D2 and 5D3 cannot use all the same lenses as the 60D, 7D, or rebels (but if the 5D2/3 can use it, all the others can use it).

As a pro still photographer, I'd recommend getting a used t2i or 60D, and investing in the best lens you can afford that covers the ranges you want. The canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 would probably be excellent (not to be confused with the crappy 18-50 II). I would avoid the fairly inexpensive sigma 17-50 2.8 because the focus throw is very short and there's no dampening (but otherwise it can make some stunning images). The canon EF 17-40 f4L or 24-105 f4L would also be good, will work with a 5d2 and 5d3, and you could couple it with some inexpensive primes for other ranges you need. Notice that all the zoom lenses I listed have a single aperture of 2.8 or 4. The variable aperture lenses (listed like f/3.5-5.6) are a bit more of a pain to deal with if you ever plan on a zoom shot (although most are not parfocal anyway). The 24-105 has a bit of distortion and is a little heavy, but is pretty sharp. The 17-40 is well-built and very wide. Both of those are f/4, but that's probably fine unless you're really getting artsy with your DOF.

Magic Lantern is well established on the 60D and I think the t2i, but is now working in beta on the 7D and 5D3 if that affects your choices.

Thanks everybody for your input. I am planning on taking some filmmaking courses. I've worked as PA before, and my buddy has just recently finished his own feature film.

Honestly, right now I just want to start shooting. I'm a firm believer in learning on your own, but I also know how valuable group settings can add to your experience. Right now I just want a:
camera (i've decided on the GH2)
a cheap but capable wide angles lense (i'm assuming i'll need an adapter, so any tips would be helpful)
A cheap shotgun mic (Azden SMX-10 for starters)
a tripod, and a basic steadicam setup for tracking shots.

I've got an insanely powerful PC rig for editing, and the needed software.

but please understand, much like TheArtist stated, I want to get a feel for the camera, find my visual style, and make some shorts.

So really what I need are suggestions on a fairly low budget beginner setup.

Again, thanks for everyone's input, and I hope to hear more from you guys!

Good choice on the GH2! I'm having a lot of fun with mine! If you want a cheap and capable wide angle on the GH2... you're not going to find one. If you want a wide angle in the m4/3 format you need to use native lenses, wide angles being expensive. The cheapest I've found is the Panasonic 14mm f2.5. (Click on that its a link) On ebay right now they're going for less than $200! Being a high school student I know how limiting a budget can be, especially when you have no income. What I'd recommend is the budget Sigma 19mm and Sigma 30mm which each retail for less than the original $150 price tag right now and are native lenses meaning no adapters. After that, I'd use legacy lenses- meaning- fully manual, 35mm film lenses. You'd have to buy adapters, but each adapter I've bought costs between $10-$30 and works like a champ. Lately, I've been buying decent to GREAT legacy lenses for $5, $10, and $40. High end legacy can go for $70-$150 if a seller knows what they have. At these price points it'd be better to just buy native.

As far as accessories go, one thing people forget to mention on this board is you're going to want to buy a basic lens and camera cleaning kit. Sometimes your lenses get fingerprints or accidental smudges and you're not going to want to use just anything to clean it. Also, you're going to want a blower to clear any dust on your sensor if that happens to you. Effective, cheap cleaning kits can be had for under $10.

As far as audio goes, I'm going to concede to Alcove on this one. He's completely right! What I would recommend to you though to save some money down the line and for much added convenience is, the Beachtech DXA-SLR. I've had great results with this! The only caveat is you'd need to buy you're own XLR cables, mic, boom pole, and cord to connect your SLR to the box.

Aside from that you're going to want a tripod. I wouldn't go cheap on this. This can cost as much or more than the camera so rather than tell you to get a cheap tripod, I'd just save up to get a quality one.

Additionally, you're going to want a bag to carry your kit in. Right now Amazon has been selling their Amazonbasics camera bags for under $50. I can't comment on the durability or ease of use as I have a good quality camera bag, but for the price you're not losing much if it doesn't work out. There are high end options like Canon, LowPro, etc. that will probably last you a long time and have faith that your gear is protected. I'd do some price comparisons between ebay, amazon, etc. before purchasing one of these.

Those are my recommendations to you! I've spent maybe $800-$900 dollars on my kit and I'm very happy right now. It allows me to get the job done without hindering my creativity, or forcing me to rely on others to pay for my equipment. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully this post helps!

-A fellow GH2 user

Back