Newbie composing music.How?

Hello everyone!
Firstly I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Soon i'll be making my first more serious short and I would love to make my own music on the film.

I can probably get a composer or download royalty free but I think making a whole movie all by myself and composing music for it will make me truly happy!

I'm watching tutorials on how to compose music for your film for about 2 weeks now and I seem to get the basics but I am broken , I have about 100 pounds and I was wondering if I can get any basic piano to start with?

I've always loved piano and for my whole life I wanted to learn even the most basic things so this might be a great oppurtunity as well.

Now don't get me wrong I don't think i'll become Hans Zimmer I just would feel proud of myself if I could make the film and compose the music and if both things turn horrible .. Well , I'll try again .

Any advices you guys can give me ?Thanks.

Thanks !

You need a few things including a "host" program (DAW - Digital Audio Workstation) to even begin. You should try a few out before you stick to a single one or buy any.
A few of the popular ones are Reaper, FL Studio and Cubase, others will no doubt tell you about other host programs they prefer and why.

Next, you said you wanted a piano. Do you mean a virtual piano software plugin (VSTi) or a keyboard with MIDI input?

Read as much as you can on music production, the problem with wanting to compose the music for your film is that you are then learning a completely new discipline it's like starting from scratch learning film again! However you could do some research into free daw's (music production software at it's most basic) then look into really basic midi keyboards, which would allow you learn piano and key in your own compositions for all the instruments you like without breaking the bank

Back