Newbie camera questions

Hi, I'm very new to filming and film making but I am very interested to learn and I have so many ideas. My main questions at the moment are about buying my first camera. I know this has probably been asked so many times, so sorry about that.

At the moment I'm looking for a decent camcorder that won't set me back too much (I'm thinking 500-1000 dollars, all though I would be happy to spend more if required). I was hoping somebody could point me to a good range of cameras, and maybe even some information on which model they think is best. Would a camera falling in this price range be able to produce good quality images, like those seen in indie films that make it to the big screen (I'm not saying I will get that far I'm just curious). Any information would be so helpful.

Also, I've heard that DSLR cameras are the best, although more expensive and probably not reccommended for a new coming. Is this true?

And my last question is about sound gear. I've seen the importance of good sound recording stressed many times on this forum, so I am curious about it. I was talking to a university friend who is doing a film and media related course (I am not unfortunately), and he said that so invest in a shotgun mic? Sorry I know sweet f**k all about sound equipment. Any information would also be very helpful about sound stuff, including prices and the like. Do the microphones connect to the camera when filming? Sorry I'm a noob :grumpy:

Thanks so much for reading, this forum is a great resource.

Yeh mate your right this has been asked hundreds of times. Do a little search and gather some questions up and I'm sure you'll get a good response. I would answer you questions but I can't recommend anything that cheap. Dslrs are good though and easy enough to learn on. Search for the t2i and see what you come up with.

Owen

Thanks for your replies. I'll try to be a bit more specific. Here are some cameras I've looked at so far:

Panasonic HDC-TM700

Rebel T2i- I've been videos filmed by it and they look amazing. Does it matter that it is primary designed for still images?

Canon HF S20

Those are just a few of the ones that I'm interested in. Any information regarding the pros/cons of them would be great.

Alco Audio- Thanks for those resources, I've been looking through them. Most of the stuff is still going over my head but I'll get there (hopefully)

I own the Rebel T1i, though it is great for stills, it isn't for video. However, the T2i seems to be the primary choice for many indie filmmakers as it can resemble the depth of field and image quality previously only found in much more expensive cameras.

I have extensively used the Canon HFS21, which is the slightly upgraded version of the HFS20, and it is a great camcorder with many features and manual controls. It's a fine choice for beginners but it doesn't have a cold shoe for a mic, so you'll need an adapter.

I don't know about the Panasonic.

I own the Rebel T1i, though it is great for stills, it isn't for video. However, the T2i seems to be the primary choice for many indie filmmakers as it can resemble the depth of field and image quality previously only found in much more expensive cameras.

I have extensively used the Canon HFS21, which is the slightly upgraded version of the HFS20, and it is a great camcorder with many features and manual controls. It's a fine choice for beginners but it doesn't have a cold shoe for a mic, so you'll need an adapter.

I don't know about the Panasonic.

Thanks mang. There seem to be so many similar cameras in that Canon series, so I sort of get confused trying to figure out what the difference is.

Well, how serious are you about film making?
What do you want to film?
How far do you want to take it?

If you decide to jump onto the DSLR bandwagon, great, the T2i can produce great videos and is in your price class.
The thing you have to consider when filming with a DSLR though is an external audio recorder. You want to record on another device, and that means bringing it together in post production which can be quite stressing and take some time.

I am not a fan of these little camcorders, I really love DSLRs. The low light performance is absoloutly gorgeous and the lens choice is nice too. Also, you can get a really nice Depth of Field.

Shameless plug here, take a look at my latest video, filmed with a Canon T2i and the kit lens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFQ8nG0owPo

I will be posting more on my channel, so look out for that ;)

Well, how serious are you about film making?
What do you want to film?
How far do you want to take it?

If you decide to jump onto the DSLR bandwagon, great, the T2i can produce great videos and is in your price class.
The thing you have to consider when filming with a DSLR though is an external audio recorder. You want to record on another device, and that means bringing it together in post production which can be quite stressing and take some time.

I am not a fan of these little camcorders, I really love DSLRs. The low light performance is absoloutly gorgeous and the lens choice is nice too. Also, you can get a really nice Depth of Field.

Shameless plug here, take a look at my latest video, filmed with a Canon T2i and the kit lens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFQ8nG0owPo

I will be posting more on my channel, so look out for that ;)

All the footage I've seen with T2i has looked amazing, really nice. That includes your video. When you say that the sound has to be recorded on a seperate device, aren't their mics that are able to be connected to the camera? Wouldn't this record the sound at the same as the video? What exactly do you have to bring together in that sense.
Thanks for your reply Phil.

When you say that the sound has to be recorded on a seperate device, aren't their mics that are able to be connected to the camera? Wouldn't this record the sound at the same as the video?

Yes, mics can be connected to DSLR cameras, but the audio implementation of DSLR cameras is quite poor; low bit/sample rates, non-defeatable AGC and no way to monitor the audio. That is why you need to record audio separately. If you want the film look you have to deal with the film "inconveniences". Sync is simple if you slate properly and keep detailed audio/video logs, and there are software assists like PluralEyes.

Yes, mics can be connected to DSLR cameras, but the audio implementation of DSLR cameras is quite poor; low bit/sample rates, non-defeatable AGC and no way to monitor the audio. That is why you need to record audio separately. If you want the film look you have to deal with the film "inconveniences". Sync is simple if you slate properly and keep detailed audio/video logs, and there are software assists like PluralEyes.

Ok, thank you for clearing that up. I thought that the audio problem with these cameras was due to the built-in mic being shitty. But as I see now even if external mics are connected it will still have that problem. What recording device would you recommend?

What recording device would you recommend?

It comes down to what you can afford. The Marantz PMD-661 is a good choice, even more so with the Oade Brothers modifications. What you will probably settle on would be the Tascam DR-100.

My recommendation is to hire a professional, or at ambitious up-and-comer; at the very least assign one person on your set to do nothing but audio. The techniques are just as - if not more - important than the gear that you use.

hello

Hi Bender, I have a Canon Vixia HV40..not sure what you use in Australia, is it PAL, then its probably the Legeria instead of Vixia..this uses miniDV tapes, which in my opinion is a better storage method and makes editing easier. They also do not get corrupted like the discs. I'm sure you will hear from those on the opposite side of the fence on that. I don't pretend to be a pro, but I have experience with the HV40 and it yields incredible footage, under the right lighting conditions, just as good as cameras that cost a few thousand...it also records in native 24p with a Cinemode option...for the money you can't go wrong with this camera...also gives great depth of field shots once you learn to play around with the controls a bit..the Vixia sells for only $640 US right now.

Keep in mind that sound is 50% of the package when it comes to filmmaking. I know you're a bit strapped for cash but you can always get a camera-mounted shotgun mic for cheap to start...the problem with any camera in your price range is the fact that it does not allow for XLR mic inputs..these are the professional grade mic inputs you need to get higher quality sound...so you might have to get a 'you get what you paid for' type mic and just trade up in the future....by trading up I mean you're going to have to buy a box that screws under the camera and has XLR jacks in it..these will allow you to really choose from a wider variety of mics that are much better in quality.

My setup is a Canon HV40 with a Juicedlink CX-231 ($299) screwed under it..and I got a great deal on a used Rode NTG-3 shotgun mic for $450 (normally $699). I bought a sturdy $17 painter's pole that extends to 20', and a used Pearstone shockmount for about $25. Rode is an Australian made mic, you might get a better deal over there. You can even opt for the Rode NTG-2 (much cheaper and a Beachtek adapter ($180) to get some decent sound.

youtube clip

Bender, here is a clip I put on youtube some time ago...disregard the crappy homemade dolly, it shook too much to really use, but you can get idea of the different shots the camera is capable of..I did this without any plan, just pretty much messing around with it. No after effects or any of that, just raw footage out of the camera.

http://youtu.be/oW1ydxhZiqU

Back